PDA

View Full Version : 12 Gallon Big Enough For 2 Clowns

tangafish
10/02/2008, 11:44 AM
I recently setup my 12 gallon aquapod and I was wondering what the possibility of keeping 2 black ocelleris in the tank would be. I am consolidating several smaller tanks into a 125 and I have a black pair and a pair of pink skunks but I cant put them in my big tank together.

Would the black clowns be HAPPY & HEALTHY in a tank that small? The books say atleast 20 gallons but honestly my fish barely move from a 8"area of the tank they are in now. The male is about 1 1/2" maybe and the female maybe 2"s.

sinful
10/02/2008, 12:45 PM
I keep 2 clowns anda sixline in my biocube and they seem happy as ever. Keep up with water changes or however you keep your params in check.

IslandCrow
10/02/2008, 01:37 PM
You'll no doubt get some varied opinions on this one, as some people don't believe a 12g is big enough for any fish (and they may be right). I had 2 pink skunk clowns (one found his way into the pump) in my 12g Aquapod. The remaining one is still not fully grown, so we'll see if I keep him in there once he is. Ocellaris are one of your smaller clowns, so I'd say they'd be OK, especially since clownfish are not some of your more active swimmers. A six-line I wouldn't put in a tank that small.

Agu
10/02/2008, 01:48 PM
I've had a pair of black occelaris in a ten gallon for over 5 years. They are the only fish and I have less rock than the typical reef tank so they don't appear to be crowded.

They are healthy but I won't try to guess if they're happy ;) .

tangafish
10/02/2008, 08:05 PM
Thanks for the replys everyone.

You'll no doubt get some varied opinions on this one, as some people don't believe a 12g is big enough for any fish (and they may be right). I had 2 pink skunk clowns (one found his way into the pump) in my 12g Aquapod.

I cant believe one of them made it into your pump that is terrible. I hadn't thought about that guess I better plan on putting some cover on the back chambers to be safe regardless what fish I go with. thanks for the headsup

bagged87blayzer
10/02/2008, 08:35 PM
I have two false perc in my 10 gal. and they seem completely happy.

IslandCrow
10/03/2008, 06:55 AM
Yeah, I guess I should put this warning out to my fellow Aquapod owners. It doesn't look like there's enough space between the hood and the top of that back wall when you close the lid, but there is. My clownfish actually got back there on two occasions, and the second one was fatal (the first was just a pain in my butt getting him out of there). What I ended up doing was cutting a plastic divider and gluing it to the top of the false wall to eliminate the gap.

tangafish
10/03/2008, 12:50 PM
I will probably use the same thing I used on the back and my overflows of my 135 tank canapy. It works great and easy to cut and install. I don't know exactly what it is called but I got it in walmart in the craft section. It comes in like an 8 pack of 8 x 10 sheets that are plastic mesh. I think they use it for needlework but it works great. I used the clear in the back. Using this you still get airflow, the water itself can still get through just not the critters

http://z.about.com/d/crossstitch/1/0/z/A/-/-/pcanvas.jpg

IslandCrow
10/03/2008, 06:06 PM
Yeah, that should work perfectly.