PDA

View Full Version : Will this cause a cycle?

Captinshinyside
10/03/2008, 12:44 PM
Ok long story short lol
I have around 250 lbs of fiji live rock cured in a 55 long with a small clean up crew and a Foxface fish, yellow tang, chocolate starfish and a sea hair.

Its in there due to my 210 sprang a leak. I am about to set it back up and running.

Here is my plan
Ro off water to filll the tank almost full add salt and let cure and come up to temp of the 55. Then add 90% of the live rock to the 210 and let sit for a few days maybe a week. At this point I will be adding around 160 lbs of sand, clean and dry atm.

Should I worry about a mini cycle?

The live stock and sump will stay on the 55 with the skimmer. I am thinking it would be best to add all of the salt water from the 55 to the 210 to help seed it.

Any suggestions or changes from anyone?
Or would it be ok to let it all settle for a few days after adding sand? Then put the live stock in the tank and let it rock?

Captinshinyside
10/03/2008, 12:47 PM
Ohh all my tests come back in the good atm
Amo = 0
Nitrate = 0
Nitrite = 0
Salt is around 1.25

Well all I can test for anyways

Bonneville08
10/03/2008, 12:50 PM
Most of your bacteria should survive in the rock. I would err on the safe side and test for a week or two before adding livestock.

crvz
10/03/2008, 01:21 PM
I would be surprised of having any spikes in ammonia or nitrite from the transfer. In terms of changing the water over, yeah you could, but it won't really be all that beneficial. If it's more convenient not to do so, as long as the temp and salinity match I wouldnt worry about it.

But 250lbs rock in a 55?!? I would like to see a picture.

Captinshinyside
10/03/2008, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the help guys .

Crvz I have yet to take the time to down size the pics of it. Send me an email or something and I can forward you a pic before I head out for the nite.

matthewscars
10/03/2008, 01:35 PM
+1

WaterKeeper
10/03/2008, 01:44 PM
Right on; unless the rock is left in the air for a prolonged period there is not much of a chance in having a cycle when switching between tanks. It is not like new LR which is shipped, mainly out of the water, for days (weeks) on end.