PDA

View Full Version : 20g long lighting

skimmer247
10/03/2008, 06:39 PM
Hey guys, right now I am only running two 18" 15 watt t-8 flourescents on my 20 gallon long and want to upgrade so I can get into corals. I want a light that will be able to sustain just about all but the most demanding corals, inverts... Also I want to try and not spend more than about $150 but will spend $200 if needed. I am also open to DIY lighting...

Some lights that have caught my eye... got any opinions? Will they work on my tank and wha will they sustain?

Current USA dual satellite compact flourescent fixture with lunar light - 2 x 65 watt, 30 " long, ~$150

jbj lighting Viper HQI Clamp Lamp, 70 watt or 150 watt double ended metal halide. ~150-200 bucks

Is the viper to small for my tank? Will it need a fan to cool?

MikeD
10/31/2008, 10:55 PM
MH would be okay but it will focus over wherever you aim it. Have you looked into T5s? There is a nova extreme line that's pretty good. Sunlight supply also makes Tek lights and the new sunblaze as well (You'll have to check on sizes). As for that viper once again, there is a model too with a built in fan.

E.intheC
11/02/2008, 10:42 AM
MikeD.. that's a great avatar pic..

On topic.. I think you should go with either the 2x 65 watt pc fixture or a nova t-5 30 inch.. I have the single 65 watt fixture and a std. flour. bulb on my 20 long and it is plenty of light for my lps, brains, and zoanthids. I think you should get t-5 or the dual pc if you want clams or sps.

I also think the viper hang on is better suited for cube style or similar tanks that aren't so wide. I think the middle will be over-lit and the outer sides of the tank won't have enough light

MikeD
11/02/2008, 11:17 AM
Thanks E.IntheC! Ditty on the Viper for cube tanks. Never had a viper but I did have a cube with a single Sunlight Pendant over it that worked well.

I still would try to stay along the T5 HO range as more people are leaning towards those over power compacts these days especially with the different bulb combinations you can get for them now! I believe it's more than PCs plus, the color seems to be 'better' in my opinion for reef tanks.

E.intheC
11/02/2008, 11:42 AM
Mike, do those fish display that behavior often? It's so neat!

I think the T-5 idea is the best.. I am setting up a new tank and am about 98% sold on T-5's...

MikeD
11/02/2008, 03:47 PM
No that was actually just a lucky shot I happen to take of my clown being friends with my chromis! My onyx clowns are the best! I love em so much!