PDA

View Full Version : Protein Skimmers - The Best??????

Tacticalbaton
10/04/2008, 07:06 AM
The question here is what would you sugest is the best skimmer on the market today and why you think that it is the best. I know each one of us has our own favorites but the problem here is there is so much hype out there with manufactures telling us what is the best you just can't see the tree's because of the forrest?

Runfrumu
10/04/2008, 07:15 AM
you forgot h&S and bubbleking, two of the favorites around here.

Tacticalbaton
10/04/2008, 07:22 AM
Runfrumu I would be more then happy to edit and add H&S and Bubble King if I could edit the post. Appreciate you pointing that them out. That list was long enough and I knew that I might miss some and that is the reason I added other. Hopefully one of the moderators could add a few to the list and update it periodically

kingsland
10/04/2008, 07:47 AM
Also, Reeflo Orca. Awesome skimmers.

sjm817
10/04/2008, 07:53 AM
Most the "the best" skimmer brands are not on the list. Much of what is there is on the low end side.

GSMguy
10/04/2008, 09:11 AM
ATB and Bubble King are the best.

End of story.

Tacticalbaton
10/04/2008, 09:30 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13481209#post13481209 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sjm817
Most the "the best" skimmer brands are not on the list. Much of what is there is on the low end side.

I am aware their are probably quite a few that I have missed on the poll and that is due to the fact that I am not totally educated on what is out there. Maybe I should have left the poll out of it but I am trying to educate myself and maybe others on what to look for, that is the reason I asked the question. To bad others could not add to the poll so we actually get an idea as to what is out there!:o

mojo~
10/04/2008, 09:33 AM
Deltec :P

Chibils
10/04/2008, 09:57 AM
What size tank? There's no reason to put a BubbleKing on a 40 breeder.

GSMguy
10/04/2008, 11:12 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13481728#post13481728 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Chibils
What size tank? There's no reason to put a BubbleKing on a 40 breeder.

there is a large range of bubble king skimmers, and i have seen some pretty pimped out 40 gallon tanks, there is nothing wrong with that. its not nearly as stupid as 20" rims on a honda.

Paulairduck
10/04/2008, 11:49 AM
Another vote for BK and ATB:D

jazzmanb
10/04/2008, 01:32 PM
on a budget the msx line by octopus is unmatched....its essentially a hybrid between bubbleking and bubble masters...i would say if you have money to throw around i would get a bk or atb...to be perfectly fair an msx well skim as well as most 1,000+ dollar skimmer,with atb and bk,your paying a lot for r+d,name,hype and the pump...in all honesty the msx is as good of a skimmer as the big two...im still shocked how well this thing is made and skims...i feed heavily and i hated how my foam neck would drop 4-5" down on my ati bm,and would take a few hours to refoam..with the msx it only loses a bit of the head,and refoams within 10 minutes or so...i would say the msx line is the best for people with tight budgets,and dont want to pay for name and hype...

GSMguy
10/04/2008, 01:46 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13482642#post13482642 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jazzmanb
the msx line by octopus i

um octopus doesn't make MSX skimmers, honya does.

Todd March
10/04/2008, 02:26 PM
What a silly thread/poll... Should have been called "Protein Skimmers--what the best dated/low end one out there?"

I mean in any discussion of current and effective skimmers—to include the Red Sea Berlin, but exclude the Bubble Kings and ATB's...?!! What the....?

SALT WATER CRAZ
10/04/2008, 02:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13482238#post13482238 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Paulairduck
Another vote for BK and ATB:D

+1

Tacticalbaton
10/04/2008, 05:12 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13482913#post13482913 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Todd March
What a silly thread/poll... Should have been called "Protein Skimmers--what the best dated/low end one out there?"

I mean in any discussion of current and effective skimmers—to include the Red Sea Berlin, but exclude the Bubble Kings and ATB's...?!! What the....?

I suggest next time you read the whole post as opposed to slinging your snotty arrogance around. There are a lot of us out there that are still trying to learn things about the hobby. We might not be as educated on what is old or new but at the very least we stand up and ask questions. It cesses to amaze me how some people forget very fast on how they had to learn and go through experience to get were they are today. These forums are for people to share their experience and their knowledge not slams others for what they don’t know and want to learn.
:mad2:

rng_pw
10/04/2008, 07:36 PM
I have heard nothing but good things about ATB's. I actually just ordered one today for my 450.00. So I vote ATB.

jdieck
10/04/2008, 07:43 PM
Another good ones missing are the ETSS downdraft skimmers

einsteins
10/04/2008, 10:51 PM
Please dont forget the Warner Marine Skimmers....they are quite impressive!

eins

TXAlbert
10/04/2008, 11:47 PM
For future reference, please add the MRC line of Skimmers to your list. They are quite impressive indeed.

http://www.myreefcreations.com/index.php?cPath=24

yeniraki
10/05/2008, 12:36 AM
Schuran jetskim250 ofcourse....

rroselavy
10/05/2008, 01:18 AM
AquaC Series Protein Skimmers
Aqua Medic Series Protein Skimmers
ASM Protein Skimmers
Coralife Super Skimmers
CPR Series Protein Skimmers
Current USA Fission Protein Skimmers
Deltec Protein Skimmers
Elos Natural Protein Skimmers
Euro-Reef™ Protein Skimmers
Kent Marine Series Protein Skimmer
Hydor Performer Protein Skimmers
Precision Marine Series Protein Skimmers
Red Sea Berlin Series Protein Skimmers
Taam Rio Nano Protein Skimmers
Tunze Protein Skimmers
ViaAqua Multi-Skimmer

ATB
ATI
MSX
SWB
C&C
My Reef Creations
Bubble King
Schuran
Warner Marine
ETSS
Reeflo Orca
Fauna Marin
H&S
Life Reef
Trigger
Top Fathom
Bubble-Magus
RK2

There are more brands excluded than included. Also, some manufacturers have multiple lines of skimmers (MRC now has becket AND needlewheel skimmers, others have non-recirculating and recirculating models, blah blah). Perhaps we should start a new poll so the 40 some-odd votes in the "other" category will atleast show up as slightly more meaningful data?

rroselavy
10/05/2008, 01:19 AM
Oh and DIY/Custom should also be a category even though they may not technically be on the market.

juliovideo
10/05/2008, 01:30 AM
#1 Bubble King
#2 ATB with pump Red Dragon
#3 Korallen with pump Red Dragon

All with impeller titanium meshwheel

;)

-------------------------------

Garage1217
10/05/2008, 05:58 AM
MSX / Octopus FTW!!! STELLAR skimmers for a reasonable price.

BreadmanMike
10/05/2008, 06:20 AM
Reeflo 250 with Reef Specialty Cup and Needlewheel is the best skimmer out there for the money for a large system.

For a smaller system I'd say ATB all the way.

GSMguy
10/05/2008, 08:43 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13485954#post13485954 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by juliovideo
#1 Bubble King
#3 Korallen with pump Red Dragon

All with impeller titanium meshwheel

;)

-------------------------------

ATBs dont come with Red dragons anymore, never did in the US, they have Airstars now, very similar but more reliable IMO

also the Titanium mesh is not out nor is it coming out anytime soon from what i have seen..

Tacticalbaton
10/05/2008, 11:14 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13485942#post13485942 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rroselavy
Oh and DIY/Custom should also be a category even though they may not technically be on the market.
Rroselavy, you make a valid point and I appreciate your input on the list you supplied. I also appreciate every one else’s input I do truly agree with you in regards to reposting another pole. When I first started this thread and post I had no idea what was out there. Still new to this end of the hobby but learning fast. I will be taking every ones input and compiling it into a new pole and post as that all of this information has been helpful but at the same time also been overwhelming and making the decisions on which way to go in the future

rroselavy
10/05/2008, 11:18 AM
Oops...I forgot Korallen-Zucht Revolution...my bad.

Ehaze
10/05/2008, 12:25 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13486186#post13486186 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Garage1217
MSX / Octopus FTW!!! STELLAR skimmers for a reasonable price.

With a few mods, you can blow the high end stuff out of the water...

I agree 100% with you!!! i love octopus stuff.

Todd March
10/05/2008, 01:58 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13483600#post13483600 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tacticalbaton
I suggest next time you read the whole post as opposed to slinging your snotty arrogance around. There are a lot of us out there that are still trying to learn things about the hobby. We might not be as educated on what is old or new but at the very least we stand up and ask questions. It cesses to amaze me how some people forget very fast on how they had to learn and go through experience to get were they are today. These forums are for people to share their experience and their knowledge not slams others for what they don’t know and want to learn.
:mad2:

Jeez, such attitude...! I am sorry if you thought my post elitist--truly was not meant to be... And I really try to go out of my way to help here on RC...

You started this poll with a list of skimmers and then asked what the "best" out there was... Well, "the best" can mean many things...

I think, without parallel, the finest constructed skimmer are RE's Bubble Kings—hard to argue the build quality on these skimmers, and you can't really compare until you actually see/touch one in person. But do the BK's with their expensive proprietary Red Dragon pumps necessarily skim the best? I don't know. I still think the Deltecs seem so consistent and reliable, and I really like what I see Warner Marine coming out with and doing (the Sedra 9000HO they are using really seems like a pump to contend with).

Personally I love my ATB Small. But it is an expensive high end skimmer, and I realize it's not in everyone's budget. But for an internal plug and play, set-and-forget skimmer, that is Eheim driven, I think it really holds right next to the external recirculating 8" H&S's and Deltecs with their more involved plumbing and added feed pump. If you can afford an ATB, they're really honestly worth the money...

For the budget conscious, I still think the little MSX's are the best bang for the buck out there. The Sicce pumps can be tad more problematic than Sedras or certainly Eheims, but it's deal-able and the airflow is immense...

chris4869
10/05/2008, 06:07 PM
[x] Other

Another vote for ATB & Bubble King.

:D

Tacticalbaton
10/06/2008, 11:36 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13488423#post13488423 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Todd March
Jeez, such attitude...! I am sorry if you thought my post elitist--truly was not meant to be... And I really try to go out of my way to help here on RC...

I intern apologise for my actions as that I can have an attitude……inherent of my occupation LOL. I do appreciate your input as that it does shed some light on the subject in regards to different skimmers compared with different budgets. I do agree even after what I have learnt so far from this thread that I really should post an updated pole to get a true feeling as to what the general consensus is. I also note that percentages will be affected by budget and I really don’t know if it is possible to create a poll broken out into budget categories. I have listed the following and totally open to anyone’s input if I have missed some, Spelled names wrong…etc!

ASM Protein Skimmers
ATB
ATI
ASM Protein Skimmers
Bubble King
C&C
Coralife Super Skimmers
Deltec Protein Skimmers
ETSS
Fauna Marin
H&S
Korallen
Life Reef
MRC line of Skimmers
MSX
My Reef Creations
Octopus
Red Sea Series Protein Skimmers
Reeflo
RK2
Schuran
SWB
Top Fathom
Tunze Protein Skimmers
Trigger
ViaAqua Multi-Skimmer
Warner Marine Skimmers
Zucht Revolution
:rollface:
D.I.Y.

cybrsufr
10/06/2008, 01:34 PM
#1 Life Reef VS3 72" Dual mazzie
#2 BK
#3 Deltec

semperfi102582
10/08/2008, 06:56 AM
What is an ATB? I have been looking at an ATI Bubble Master. But now i'm impartial because of all these reviews. I'm hoping an ATB is short for the ATI Bubble master so it will clear up the confusion.

rroselavy
10/08/2008, 11:20 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13506168#post13506168 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by semperfi102582
What is an ATB? I have been looking at an ATI Bubble Master. But now i'm impartial because of all these reviews. I'm hoping an ATB is short for the ATI Bubble master so it will clear up the confusion.

ATB (Aquarium Technik Burian) Cone Skimmers (http://atbskimmers.com)

Nanook
10/08/2008, 12:31 PM
Don't forget GEO!!!

or Marine Technical Concepts.

Saulsa
10/09/2008, 01:53 AM
"#1 Bubble King
#3 Korallen with pump Red Dragon"

I would switch the BK for the ATB and Voila

1)ATB
2)BK
3)Korallen possibly Deltec

mg426
10/09/2008, 03:49 AM
The MSX line is a hard one to beat for the $$$$$$

jimidalock
10/09/2008, 07:10 AM
What about Bermuda aquatic?

eb8919
10/09/2008, 08:08 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13512461#post13512461 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mg426
The MSX line is a hard one to beat for the $$$$$$
+1 on MSX...after doing a fair amount of research and finding some one in my area to show me theirs in action. They are quite amazing skimmers for the price. However I notice you are also from Ontario. I ordered my MSX skimmer about 2 weeks ago and received an email about shipping problems to Canada. There is an additional 55$ fee and they also said they will probably discontinue shipping to Canada. I'm sure if you were truly interested in one, you could arrange it. Still good bang for the buck.

rroselavy
10/09/2008, 09:36 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13512923#post13512923 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jimidalock
What about Bermuda aquatic?

Good catch. Overlooked that one.

Speaking of skimmer manufacturers, does anyone know what happened to C&C Marine? Their web site has not been redirecting properly for days and reeffiltration is no longer selling their product... This does not bode well...

Mr James
10/09/2008, 11:29 AM
by rroselavy
ASM Protein Skimmers
Coralife Super Skimmers
Deltec Protein Skimmers
Red Sea Berlin Series Protein Skimmers
Tunze Protein Skimmers
ViaAqua Multi-Skimmer

ATB
ATI
MSX
SWB
C&C
My Reef Creations
Bubble King
Schuran
Warner Marine
ETSS
Reeflo Orca
Fauna Marin
H&S
Life Reef
Trigger
Top Fathom
Bubble-Magus
RK2

How many skimmers in the above lists, existed prior to say 2004, I wonder?!? Then how many existed prior to 2007?? Point. Technology is constantly moving, designs are changing, effective skimming (filtering) continues to evolve.

Good stuff!!

Todd March
10/09/2008, 05:56 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13514473#post13514473 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mr James
How many skimmers in the above lists, existed prior to say 2004, I wonder?!? Then how many existed prior to 2007?? Point. Technology is constantly moving, designs are changing, effective skimming (filtering) continues to evolve.

Good stuff!!

I'm so with you, James... I still can't figure how anyone could buy and use an ASM G series skimmers when Octo's and other great and much more modern and better built skimmers are around...!

Tacticalbaton
10/09/2008, 06:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13516734#post13516734 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Todd March
I'm so with you, James... I still can't figure how anyone could buy and use an ASM G series skimmers when Octo's and other great and much more modern and better built skimmers are around...!

Todd I think that you can see why the novice has such a hard time trying to evaluate a decent skimmer along with a price. I took your advice and I am presently looking at the the ATB but they have two lines (Conical and Standard) Not sure which way to go? Have also looked at Bubble king. General question can you over skim a tank? if you buy one that can handle a larger capacity?

turbonut
10/09/2008, 07:14 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13485501#post13485501 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by einsteins
Please dont forget the Warner Marine Skimmers....they are quite impressive!

eins question would be better if there was a price range however WARNER MARINE got my vote jon's skimmers impress me more and more each day, and they can easily hang with the big dogs outthere .

Nuff Said

kdblove_99
10/09/2008, 07:36 PM
No such thing as best skimmer IMO! YOu can get a cheap MSX that will do as good of a job as these high end skimmers IMO

Todd March
10/09/2008, 08:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13516910#post13516910 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tacticalbaton
Todd I think that you can see why the novice has such a hard time trying to evaluate a decent skimmer along with a price. I took your advice and I am presently looking at the the ATB but they have two lines (Conical and Standard) Not sure which way to go? Have also looked at Bubble king. General question can you over skim a tank? if you buy one that can handle a larger capacity?

I don't think Victor of ATB USA has sold/imported any of the regular skimmers yet—only the cones....?

ATB's are great skimmers. While the MSX 200 is probably darn close to being as powerful of a skimmer as the ATB Small cone is, the MSX does not come with the ultra reliable and ultra quiet Eheim pump, and the MSX does not come completely apart so that you can scrub every millimeter of every skimmer part for a good yearly cleaning... I think you can tell how long a reefer has been reefing by how much they appreciate skimmers that come completely apart (ATB,BK), as when you live with a skimmer for a few years, and get annoyed by parts that you just can never reach or clean well, then suddenly you see the engineering brilliance and the German excellence that a tear-down skimmer offers.

Yes, you can overskim a tank with too large a skimmer. What happens is that the skimmer just will not skim much, or stop producing skimmate—usually focusing on making thick gunk on the neck—until the gunk builds up enough for the skimmer to produce skimmate. It's not the end of the world, but really a mild oversizing is okay, but crazy large skimmers will in the end probably defeat you. Bubble Kings oversized seem particularly prone to the non-skimming effect (some say due to their very large neck diameters). My ATB Small is slightly oversized for my 95g system, but even with light stocking at present, it skims great. Oversized skimmers can also be more sensitive to water change parameters (like sticking your hands in the water), particularly todays mesh and needlewheels with high air-flow...

Bubble Kings are the finest made skimmers out there—period. Just gorgeous! I love how they how they have thick rubber feet that act as shock absorbers. I wish more skimmers had attention to detail like this...

But after living with the ATB, and seeing the consistency of the foam and skimmate, I'm very happy that I turned my back on the BK Mini 180 and took home the ATB...

detect007
10/09/2008, 08:14 PM
If you got the money to spend I would say ATB (cones) or Bubble Kings are "the best" skimmers!!! Hard to say the best when there are alot of variables including cost.

Tacticalbaton
10/10/2008, 01:27 PM
Well took the plunge today. Finally went with the Bubble Kings 200 as that I received an answer back from ATB. Even though the costs are comparable for the BK and the ATB there is no problem getting a BK in Ontario Canada but the ATB has to be shipped in from the US. ATB sent me an email and stated that the cost.....Quote "Thank you for your interest in ATB products. The shipping costs by dhl is 220usd. I do not know if customs tax is calculated yet. There is no plumbing required on the internal models. There are plenty of pictures on reefcentral.

Thanks
Victor

Just a little to steep for me! Also after inquiring as to running a BK200 on a 100 Gallon tank( is over kill on skimming) by simply putting on a timer on, you can figure out what your bio load will be and set it based on your foam out put. The way I look at it is that my tanks can get bigger but I won't have to get a new skimmer for years. I know that there is the on and off factor for the pump but I guess if you are going to buy the Ferrari you do have to start it and turn it off some times and I think the cost of the unit is the expensive part as opposed to having to fix or replace the pump. Keeping my fingers crossed on that one ;-)

jmart55
10/15/2008, 10:35 AM
Congrats on the new purchase. From what I hear those Red Dragon pumps are not cheap to replace. On and off is going to be hard on any pump over time so I would really consider running it continuously and setting it for a nice dry skimmate. These other guys know better than me but IMO I would never turn a skimmer on and off daily.
BTW my Bubble MAgus is kicking butt on my 125. I'll be interested to see how the AquaBee pump holds up, the build quality of the acrylic has been great and it can be taken completely apart!

Tacticalbaton
10/15/2008, 12:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13550929#post13550929 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jmart55
Congrats on the new purchase. From what I hear those Red Dragon pumps are not cheap to replace. On and off is going to be hard on any pump over time so I would really consider running it continuously and setting it for a nice dry skimmate. These other guys know better than me but IMO I would never turn a skimmer on and off daily.
BTW my Bubble MAgus is kicking butt on my 125. I'll be interested to see how the AquaBee pump holds up, the build quality of the acrylic has been great and it can be taken completely apart!

Hi jmart55
Thanks….even after watching what’s been happening with the skim mate in the past few days I’m loving this new toy LOL! I received a message the other day that there is apparently a new speed adjustable DC pump coming out in December that will allow you to adjust the air intake and the water GPH that is pumped through the unit. Needless to say I can only see one part that might ware out on these units and that would be the pump. I have already decided just to let the pump run continuously for now. I have also just ordered a custom built 150 Gallon so hope fully in a month I will be up and running and the new Bubble King 200 will be running on that tank. My initial concern was the over skimming.

Otty
10/15/2008, 12:35 PM
For the price, PM's Bullet series is hard to beat.

bernie lyons
10/15/2008, 07:35 PM
My vote is for MTC skimmers ( marine technical concepts) I've compared MTC skimmers with most of the above products including bubble king . Bubble king is a nice quality product , however the MTC is equally as well built for alot less money , and as far as performance I'll prefere the beckett nozzles over the pinwheels.
bernie lyons

Nanook
10/15/2008, 08:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13554410#post13554410 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bernie lyons
My vote is for MTC skimmers ( marine technical concepts) I've compared MTC skimmers with most of the above products including bubble king . Bubble king is a nice quality product , however the MTC is equally as well built for alot less money , and as far as performance I'll prefere the beckett nozzles over the pinwheels.
bernie lyons

Agreed, we had a couple folks here that ran HSA-1000 skimmers and they were very well built. I just ordered my quad beckett HSA-5000 from Jeff today;) I have a large custom NW from Geo that has been tweaked, but I really miss my old Geo dual beckett. I think if we can come up with a new pump and needlewheel for the large volcano-like skimmers that they will be tough to beat.

The MTC will skim my system about 3-4/hour.

trilinearmipmap
10/15/2008, 09:38 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13550929#post13550929 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jmart55

Just wondering which Bubble Magus you are using because I am trying to decide between a Bubble Magus 150 and a Mini Bubble King 180 for my 120.

dzhuo
10/16/2008, 12:45 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13554950#post13554950 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Nanook
The MTC will skim my system about 3-4/hour.

where can i find some spec of these MTC skimmers? interested to know how loud they are, what pump they use and how much power those pumps draw, etc...

with so many quality skimmers out there, i thought raw performance might not be the only deciding factor when looking to purchase a skimmer because a bunch of them perform relatively well within each other.

trueperc
10/16/2008, 07:01 AM
I live in Ontario and over the summer I decided to get a high end skimmer personally
Reeflo 200/250 with Reef Specialty Cup and Needlewheel is the best skimmer out there for the money for a medium to large system.

jmart55
10/16/2008, 12:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13555231#post13555231 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by trilinearmipmap
Just wondering which Bubble Magus you are using because I am trying to decide between a Bubble Magus 150 and a Mini Bubble King 180 for my 120.
I'm using the 150 right now. It seems like a great compact in sump skimmer and is doing fine on my lightly stocked 125. I will be upgradng to the 160 which is their recirc model(in sump or external) as I think it is better for a heavier stocked tank. WHile the buld quality of the Bubble Magus is good it is no where near the Bubble King. The BK's are built like tanks, but are nearly 3 times the cost of the BM. I still want a BK someday but my wallet likes the value of my BM.

Firochromis
10/20/2008, 09:19 AM
In Europe, Grotech has many fans. You may include it to the poll as well. :)

GSMguy
10/20/2008, 09:48 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13556056#post13556056 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dzhuo
where can i find some spec of these MTC skimmers? interested to know how loud they are, what pump they use and how much power those pumps draw, etc...

with so many quality skimmers out there, i thought raw performance might not be the only deciding factor when looking to purchase a skimmer because a bunch of them perform relatively well within each other.

The quad Beckett mentioned would use 4 to 6 times the electricity of a high end needlewheel

Over time that will add up to run 4 beckett injectors you would need lots of pressure

GSMguy
10/20/2008, 09:49 AM
not to mention the added heat from the extra 400watts running 24/7

moumda
10/20/2008, 10:10 AM
I've used a MRC-3 recirculating, a Euroreef cs-5, and a Aqua-C 180 on the same tank at different times and found they all work about the same. Meaning I got about the same amount of skimmate with each of the skimmers if I kept them clean (keeping the scum of the neck of the skimmer). I also had to be sure that each of the skimmers was fed with 100% surface water and they all performed about the same. Am now using the Aqua_C because it's easier to clean. JME.