PDA

View Full Version : Moving, what do I do ?

mrpenguin
10/04/2008, 09:16 AM
I will be moving in the next couple of months but not very far, only about 20 min away.
I did a move before and lost almost everything.

What is the best way to move my entire tank and not loose anything ? I have a lot of SPS corals and do not want any of them to die.

ILuvTropicalFis
10/04/2008, 07:51 PM
I had to move my 125 gallon when I redid my floors. I got three 30 gallon rubber trash cans with lids and put as much water and live rock in them as I could. I caught my fish and put them in buckets that I use only for fish. Since you are moving a short distance you could get the styrofoam coolers from you LFS for transporting the corals and keeping their temperature stable.

The important thing is to dedicate a day to the tearing down, moving and setting up of your tank. Don't get in a hurry. I would carry as much water with me as possible. And have some water ready at the new place to top off the tank. With slow and steady vigilence, I know you can move the tank and the critters with little loss of life. Good Luck!

SMOOTHIE
10/04/2008, 10:00 PM
Leave the power on at the old spot for an extra few days and move it last. Borrow as many containers as you can and keep the max amount of cicled water. Another thing I found useful is dollar store sandwich bags to seperate corals.

mrpenguin
10/08/2008, 12:43 PM
I will have to take out all the sand .... will this cause harm ?
How long after the tank is completely set up again with as much of the old water as I could save can I add all the fish and corals again ??

MileHighFish
10/08/2008, 01:13 PM
u wont have time to wait.. set it up right away.. i just moved frm irvine ca.. to NM... 850 miles... i put the corals in 15 gal rubbermade tubs each one had a small seio ( i used a a/c-d/c converter in the car to run the pumps).. i put fish and coral together.. each time we stopped i had to double chk that nothing was touching.. i kept a temp gage in there and ran the a/c in the car... live sand and rock went into 5 gal buckets with lids... u can use wet news paper to keep wet.. i lost a big monti, and had two pieces that lost tissue but the rest of the tanks was fine..