PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer going crazy

dmbnpj
10/04/2008, 03:31 PM
I changed out my sand bed yesterday. So, right now all the sand is new and all the saltwater is new. I have an ASM G3 on my 75 gallon tank. I do have a gate valve mod on the skimmer but that always only seems to make small adjustments to the bubbles inside. I have tried turning the gate valve from one end to the other and the bubbles still overflow so quickly the skimmate cup just fills up right away with water. Is there anything else I can try to do or do I just need to let the water settle for several days?

stingythingy45
10/04/2008, 04:06 PM
"or do I just need to let the water settle for several days"

Maybe just a few days will do it.
I suspect all the dust in the water column is causing you this trouble.Can you explain your skimmer plumbing a little better.Do you also have the recirc mod also?
I have a G-2 and had a few issues with it,but did some plumbing changes and that helped.

dmbnpj
10/04/2008, 04:35 PM
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b165/dmbnpj/skimmer001.jpg

Here is a picture of my drainage/return setup. I tried to get a picture of the skimmer also but photobucket seems to be messed up right now.

I dont have the recirc mod. Just the gate valve that you should be able to see on the left side of the picture.

stingythingy45
10/04/2008, 04:45 PM
I think you're just going to have to wait for things to settle down with the sand unfortunately.

dmbnpj
10/04/2008, 04:53 PM
Bob,
Yeah Ive had to wait before for things to settle down. What sorts of problems did you have with yours?

stingythingy45
10/05/2008, 07:53 AM
When I first plumbed the recirc mod I didn't have a ballvalve on each side of the T off.One for the skimmer and one for the reverse durso.So water sometimes takes a funny route and would flood the skimmer.