PDA

View Full Version : RDSB vs Sulfur Denitrator

Nighthawk31
10/05/2008, 08:02 AM
I've been reading through the 40 pages of the RDSB thread and just started reading the 14 pages on the sulfur denitrator. I want to know which one most of you are currently using and why.

Based on what I've read so far the RDSB is cheap to set up but it takes about a month to cycle and 5 gallon buckets take up a lot of room. The Sulfur denitrator costs more to set up but cylcles faster and doesn't need as much space. Both seem to be good at what they do once cycled.

I'm planning a 180 gallon fowlr and I'm thinking of using one or the other of these. If you were me which, if any, would you use and why?

FranktheTankTx
10/05/2008, 08:11 AM
Sand is simple and easy. I would just run a large refugium with a DSB w/ a pretty good amount of flow. It'll do the trick.

Nighthawk31
10/06/2008, 04:06 PM
Thanks. Does anyone else have an opinion?

Paul_PSU
10/06/2008, 05:18 PM
I have always had a DSB in my display tank (4 1/2 years) with approx 6 inches of sand. I had major Nitrate issues before (about 180!!). I tried an RDSB in a 5 gal bucket for 3 months. My nitrates came down but not that much, maybe about 50 to around 130 or 120. I built a sulphur denitrator and my nitrates came down to about 20! I could not get them below that until I started using AZ-NO3. That brought them down to zero. I stopped using it since it is $20 every two months and started dosing vodka. I took the denitrator offline when I started with the AZ-NO3 and have not used it since. Now I have had zero Nitrates for about 2 months with heavy feeding and just dosing vodka.

Aquaticadvisor
10/07/2008, 01:10 AM
I have a sulfur denitrifier for over six months....I must say however that my husbandry skills is first and formost to the reason why my nitrates are between 5 - 10. I look at the reactor as an insurance policy. You dont need it but it is great to have !