PDA

View Full Version : GFCI help

Octoberfest
10/05/2008, 08:39 AM
I don't have a GFCI outlet for my tank and would like to install one. I'm not good with home electricity at all but I'm very mechanically inclined other than that, been working on aircraft/cars/motorcycles for 15 years. Now is this something I can do on my own or do I need to hire an electrician to do this? I know that ideally, hiring an electrician to install on would be the best bet but I really don't want to pay anyone to come out and do that if its something I can do on my own.

If this is something I can do on my own does anyone have a step by step on how to do this?

virginiadiver69
10/05/2008, 08:42 AM
Have you decided not to use a gfci power strip?
Something like this:
http://www.buy.com/prod/belkin_stanley_surge_power_strip_and_gfci_bundle_sta143_06_g_stp280_15/q/loc/101/202541773.html

Michael
10/05/2008, 08:44 AM
i prefer the plug in individual types, each power head and appliance can be individually protected and you wont get nusience tripping, i assume its the same in the us as the uk, if so then this would be a better idea than the whole circuit being protected by 1 outlet as nusience tripping can be more likely and the whole tank can be automatically shut down instaed of just 1 appliance, i assume you can purchase these plug in gfci at local DIY stores, please let me know if im wrong and i wont post info like this again, thanks guys

Octoberfest
10/05/2008, 08:47 AM
Virginia, to be honest I didn't know that was an option and honestly would prefer to do that as I'm renting the house I'm in now. Thanks a ton, that will be much easier.