PDA

View Full Version : What skimmer of these would you pick?

tufacody
10/05/2008, 09:01 AM
I have a dillema. My current sump is not set up for a larger internal skimmer. However, I could purchase an add-on sump, remove my refugium, and connect it to the existing sump giving me the room I need to add a large internal.

If I went internal I would likely go MSX Extreme 300 or Pro 300, or ATB medium. (thoughts?)

Or, I could go external, in which case I'd be looking at either the Orca 250 or the ATB medium external. (thoughts?)

In either case, unless I can find a way to build a stand and raise my refugium over either the new sump or new external skimmer, I may have to lose the fuge due to space limitations. Everything is set up in a closet opposite the display tank, but I'm almost out of room in there.

Total system is about 300 gallons. My last option would be to stick with my current LifeReef skimmer, which is actually a very good skimmer, and keep the fuge in place. My LR skimmer is a simple venturi design. While it does a decent job, I think I could be pulling a lot more. Plus, the mag 9 it runs pulls 95 watts. While wattage consumption is a consideration, I think I could be pulling a lot more with less wattage with another skimmer.

All thoughts appreciated.

GSMguy
10/05/2008, 09:31 AM
I would go for the ATB but i am biased.

the pro 300 is a good skimmer too, if it were me i would narrow it down to the medium internal with airstar or the pro300.

i dont think you really need a Fuge if you have a good skimmer, but im sure ill get yelled at for that comment...

tufacody
10/05/2008, 01:18 PM
Ya think the Pro300 will outperform the Ocra 250?

Paulairduck
10/05/2008, 01:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13486969#post13486969 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GSMguy
I would go for the ATB but i am biased.

the pro 300 is a good skimmer too, if it were me i would narrow it down to the medium internal with airstar or the pro300.

i dont think you really need a Fuge if you have a good skimmer, but im sure ill get yelled at for that comment...

I am starting to agree on the fuge idea, get a good skimmer, and no fuge is needed.