PDA

View Full Version : Effects of .35ml of muratic acid in reef

tankjunky
10/05/2008, 10:21 AM
Well is it safe or did I just kill my tank by trying to kill aptasia. I think it would just lower the ph but somebody tell me if I just killed everything. It went into a 80 gallon tank so the ratio is very small

Thanks

psteeleb
10/05/2008, 10:31 AM
certainly anything that got a concentration of it would be affected, but I would think that once it gets diluted it would not do much at all. Check you ph and see if it dropped much as this may create more an issue. Please post what happens to the tank (even if nothing)

m2434
10/05/2008, 10:50 AM
I doubt it would make much of a difference... The effect can be calculated, but I haven't done the calculation. IMO, the dilution ration is so high, I just don't see it making much of a difference. What is the pH. if it's low, you could add some buffer - just don't panic and overdo it!

cowdawg
10/05/2008, 12:28 PM
Why not use Kalk or aptasia-x? muriatic acid is pretty heavy stuff.

downhillbiker
10/05/2008, 12:33 PM
i mix muriatic acid in much larger amounts with kalk and RO/DI water in a 20oz water bottle and then add it to my tank all the time. the muriatic acid does two things. it lowers the alk and pH, and increases the concentration of ca. basically when i do this i am adding ca only. so my answer is no, you didn't hurt anything. you wont notice a difference. i use about 5ml in my mix.

J. Montgomery
10/05/2008, 01:00 PM
0.35ml of muriatic acid in 80 gallons of saltwater water is insignificant. Shouldn't be a problem.

tankjunky
10/05/2008, 01:43 PM
Well everything looks perfectly fine except the aptasia I hit with it. And the reson for using this and not other products is because I have this and dont want to buy thoes things. I also figured it would be fine, just wanted to double check. I will test my ph soon

tankjunky
10/05/2008, 02:22 PM
Ok ph is at 8.0 so I dont think it did anything to the tank