PDA

View Full Version : Is the spacer necessary?

burton14e7
10/05/2008, 10:57 AM
I just recently downgraded my tank because of electricity and my glass thickness went from 3/4" to 3/8". I had a rimless tank prior so the glass was super thick. I didn't need to use the spacer. Now that I'm on the thinner glass the vortech is a loud beast. It was virtually silent on the other tank. I've been tweaking it all morning and can't find the silent spot so I'm thinking it might be the spacer.

I'm curious if it hurts the pump at all to not use the spacer on the thin glass and just use the thin rubber pad that goes over the spacer.

EcoTech Marine
10/06/2008, 08:05 AM
Sometimes a pump can make a little noise after it has been moved. Typically this will subside in a day or so. The pin spacer itself wouldn't cause the noise (unless a pin is bent) so if the pump was quiet on the 3/4" tank, it should become so on your new tank. I would also check to see if you inadvertently bent a pin during installation. Can you tell if the noise is from the dry side or wet side?

On a 3/8" tank it would not be safe to go without the pin spacer. You could cause damage to the wet side of the pump resulting in a wet frame failure.

-Tim

burton14e7
10/06/2008, 04:02 PM
Gotcha, the noise seems to be on the dry side. When I apply pressure to the dry side to move it the noise goes away. So I was thinking that if it was closer by removing the spacer that the noise would go away also. But after I move it and release pressure the noise comes back. I'll check when I get home in a bit to see the spacer pins are bent.

EcoTech Marine
10/07/2008, 08:02 AM
If the noise goes away when you touch the dry side then most likely a bearing has gone bad in your motor. Please email us at service@ecotechmarine.com with a description of this problem and your serial number and we will help you out.

-Tim

burton14e7
10/08/2008, 08:29 PM
Thanks, Tim. I sent an email.