PDA

View Full Version : New UVL T5s???

jennmac415
10/05/2008, 04:29 PM
I have read that they are coming out with a new line of improved T5s... anyone know when they might be coming?? It is time for me to replace all my 14 bulbs, but if these new bulbs are coming soon, I might wait awhile longer and see what they are..

LuisC
10/05/2008, 05:31 PM
subscribing as I am getting new ones myself

Mark426
10/05/2008, 05:38 PM
So... I keep hearing this..but all I hear is "new improved lamp" .
Whats improved, different or new with the UVL's lamps?

BeanAnimal
10/05/2008, 05:40 PM
Inernal reflectors. Used in conjunction with an SLR they are said to have an improved efficiency.

kgross
10/05/2008, 05:54 PM
My understanding is that they should available maybe November/December, but no firm dates yet. Not only will they have models with the internal reflector, but they will have some new colors as well.
Kim

Mark426
10/05/2008, 05:57 PM
ahhhhhhhh...thanks for the 411

jennmac415
10/05/2008, 06:31 PM
that long??? :( I don't know if I can wait that long :(

jennmac415
10/05/2008, 09:47 PM
anyone else know any info on these new UVL bulbs?

rob020880
10/12/2008, 09:48 PM
I would love to see some pics of these bulbs in action.

rob020880
10/12/2008, 09:52 PM
They mention a 454 nm lamp and that its new. What exactly is it? What does the 454 nm mean?

"The new UV Lighting Inc. T5 Lamps with Internal Reflectors along with the new 454 nm T5 Lamp."

silverwolf72
10/12/2008, 10:11 PM
I would think the internal reflector would make put out less light when used with a good reflector, would be better with a fixture with one single reflector though.

kgross
10/13/2008, 11:25 AM
The 454nm is the wave length of the primary light it puts out, I can't remember if it is more blue or purple though off the top of my head.

Kim

jamesdawson
10/13/2008, 01:15 PM
Its blue. So now they will have a SA bulb (mostly purple) and also a blue bulb.

James

rob020880
10/13/2008, 02:40 PM
Which one of these new bulbs would best compliment 250w de Iwasaki 14k MH bulbs?

DarG
10/13/2008, 03:17 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13538719#post13538719 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rob020880
Which one of these new bulbs would best compliment 250w de Iwasaki 14k MH bulbs?

The super actinic is not a new bulb. UVL has had the T5 super actinic out for a long time.

To answer your question, it depends. The 454nm bulb is blue and if it falls in line with other companies blue bulbs, it will have good par.
The Super actinic T5's are the weakest of the T5's in terms of par. Thats for all companies, not just UVL. At last check, UVL's measured highest but they are still a lower par bulb.

The blue bulbs have signifigantly higher par than the super actinics and will have a stronger impact on coloring up the halides than the super actinics. The look is different though. The Super actinics are a purplish color (blue/purple I call it), the blue bulbs are just blue, very blue. So supplementing with blue bulbs will create a stronger blue tint along with your halides than the super actinics which will produce a weaker purplish tint.

I have two T5's that I use to supplement Iwasaki DE 250 watt 14k's. I use a super actinic and a fiji purple. But I also overdrive the T5's (4 foot) with the Icecap 660 ballast. I get plenty of color from that combination and I also get plenty of color from using two super actinics. I simply prefer the actinic tint over the blue tint. The two T5's do not turn the tank actinic purple with the halides running. They add a clearly noticeable "tint" of color.
Many reefers use the blue bulbs for supplements. Some use a combination. It will all depend on what you prefer and what makes your corals look better. It will also depend on how many T5's you have and how much color you want to add to the halides. Sometimes compromises have to be made. If you want a strong color tint but prefer the actinics and dont have enough bulbs to get a strong enough color supplementation, you may have to compromise and use the blue bulbs instead, or a combination.

rob020880
10/14/2008, 09:38 AM
Well I will be supplementing the Iwasakis with four 24w t5s on tek ballasts. My tank is 30" deep, which of these ati's would make my corals pop. Giving a nice balance.

hahnmeister
10/14/2008, 09:45 AM
Ushio is coming out with T5's as well... that should be interesting...

DarG
10/14/2008, 11:52 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13543641#post13543641 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rob020880
Well I will be supplementing the Iwasakis with four 24w t5s on tek ballasts. My tank is 30" deep, which of these ati's would make my corals pop. Giving a nice balance.

Well you have 96 watts of T5 to supplement two EYE 14K 250 watt DE's. Youre going to have to find out for yourself I think because everyone is going to have a different opinion. I think that I would try a combination of blue and super actinics. If you really like one over the other and decide that you want to run all 4 of that color, then you buy two more of those bulbs. Yes, you may end up with two bulbs you wont use when all is said and done and spent 40 or 50 bucks more that you needed to but I really think its so much about personal preference that you are going to have to experiment some.

The coral color pop thing ... consensus would probably say the super actinics but some still prefer to run blue lamps. And this too is opinion based to a good degree. There are hobbyists who dont like super actinic (420nm) T5 because VHO super actinic is a better 420nm lamp.

I cant really answer definitively for you. If I were in your situation, again, I would try both and go from there.
Or, wait for others to chime in and go with the majority. Sorry, I dont feel its something that I can answer for you. Too opinion based. You can search for pictures here on the boards and on the net. Just be careful, different cameras and monitor differences make looking at color rendering pictures on the net pretty unreliable. But maybe you can get a better idea if what you think will look better for you.

DarG
10/14/2008, 12:03 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13543682#post13543682 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hahnmeister

Should be. Im sure they'll be quality bulbs and comparable to the top brands out there already.

Question for you ... I dont know exactly how flourescent lamps are made internally in terms of what exactly goes into them to make them render their particular color/spectrum that they produce. So, why is it that UVL or somebody else cannot quite match the VHO super actinic with the T5 super actinic. What is it about the phosphors and/or whatever else it is that goes into 420nm lamps that makes the T5 super actinic inferior to the VHO color/spectrum wise? Are T5's made that much different in terms of the phosphors or gases or whatever goes into the lamps to make up the spectrum/color that there is a real reason why they cant match the color of the T12 VHO super actinics (namely the UVL super actinic VHO)?

hahnmeister
10/14/2008, 02:11 PM
Im not the 'bulb making process' expert, but there are many phosphor combos out there to get a desired output. Its like mixing paint to get the right shade to paint with. Many of these phosphors have different durability/longevity, as well as optimal operation temps. VHO's put more space between the axis of the tube and the phosphors, and as it turns out, actinic phosphors are the most sensitive to exposure to heat/current (until someone researches a breakthrough). There are also factors with the makers themselves, as well as how much they want to spend on the bulb's components. If they dont have the reputation or access to the same components/tools, they may not be able to replicate the bulb of another maker. Its not an easy process... sort of a 'macro' version of making a computer processor in many ways. Some companies want to use less mercury, so they need to make the phosphors more durable (mercury is a cooling/temperature regulator). Some companies put more into their electrodes... as electrodes do corrode over time in the bulb. So there is no simple response. High output posphor lamps usually do not have the efficiency as lower power density bulbs... the exception is when they are able to make the phosphors more durable/efficient, but advances in some phosphors do not always benefit all spectrums evenly.

Even though VHO's might be 'nicer' for actinics, overall, I dont consider it a 'win'. VHO's are almost 2x the wattage per foot (power density), so you almost have to compare 2x as many tubes of T5's to VHO's, even though T5's boast 50% higher efficiency (at 3000K mind you... actinic might not be the same story). Also, to make a reflector that is anywhere near as efficient as a T5's on a T12 bulb, you would need about 5-6".

Here's something interesting though... the phosphor induction lamps (philips QL or sylvanis icetron... sylvania being the one that makes a blacklight/BL lamp like this) which lack electrodes are very efficient for actinic lighting, and have a very high power density (small bulb surface). It makes me wonder if actinics are very volitile w/ electrodes (or the other way around). They have a higher power density, higher efficiency, and a much longer life... 100,000 hours is not uncommon. So Im thinking it has something to do with the actinic phosphors and how they react over time to electrodes. Those induction blacklight bulbs are also something like $600 a pop. I bet there are some patents to protect such 'cutting edge' technologies as well... so it might be a matter of not being able to make as good of a bulb for legal reasons when it comes right down to it. OSRAM/Sylvania is a leader in their field... to say they have a 'slight edge' over many other companies is an understatement. The fact that they can have a UV-C/blacklight lamp that still sells at $400-$700 a pop means it must be able to do something that much better to make it worth that much more... so it IS out there.

tqui
10/14/2008, 02:54 PM
the UVL T-5 with internal reflector is out on

aquariumspecialty.com as of 10/13

hahnmeister
10/14/2008, 02:59 PM
That means you need phosphors that are 2x as durable as a normal T5 since you are putting 2x as much power through the area that is left for the phosphors. I doubt this exists.

I could see T5NO's like this, because then a 4' bulb could have half its ID coated with HO phosphors. Then you could stack bulbs side by side and get some very nice power densities without parabolic reflectors needed.

rob020880
10/14/2008, 03:00 PM
So which one of the new UVL lamps with internal reflectors should I try out with the Iwasaki 14k? The link to the site is below.

http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=28_39_194

rob020880
10/14/2008, 03:02 PM
I would like to try out the new one with the internal reflectors.

jennmac415
10/14/2008, 04:51 PM
so getting back to my original post...what is going to be the benefit of having this new internal reflector?

painkiller1009
10/14/2008, 05:01 PM
How would having an internal reflector help when using a SLR?

DarG
10/14/2008, 05:15 PM
Thanks Hahn. Doesnt explain the exact why of it but the info is appreciated. You would think that if it could be done within a cost that is reasonable that UVL would have done it with their T5's. So maybe the tech is there but the cost because of the different internal factors between the two bulb types ... size, heat etc. may be cost prohibitive as you alude to.

I personally dont think that T5 super actinic is a "bad" bulb. Overdriven especially they are fairly good actinics so they are my choice because of space/output. Im sure that they will improve over time as the tech comes down in cost or they come up with other work-arounds. Assuming that the tech is there but the cost is prohibitive that is. And I think that has to be atleast part of it.

jennmac415
10/14/2008, 05:19 PM
Ummm... so is this a good thing for a T5 bulb... it is time for me to order all new 14 bulbs and that is why I ORIGINALLY asked my question about these new bulbs coming out...

DarG
10/14/2008, 05:50 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13546614#post13546614 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jennmac415
Ummm... so is this a good thing for a T5 bulb... it is time for me to order all new 14 bulbs and that is why I ORIGINALLY asked my question about these new bulbs coming out...

Personally, I dont see how it is of benefit. It would seem to me that the internal reflector would be more detrimental than beneficial. From what I understand, with a good slr only a very small amount of light from the top of the T5 is reflected back into the lamp because of the small diameter of the lamps. It would seem to me that the external SLR would be a much better reflector than a 180 degree internal reflector seeing how the very small amount of light that is not reflected down to the tank by an external slr incorporates far less than half of the bulb. And, a full 180 degrees of the light from the bulb with internal reflector will not be reflected by the external SLR. This is assuming that the internal reflectors will be 180 degree reflectors like they are on T12 VHO's. I dont know if this is the case either.

But Im not an expert on T5's or their reflectors.

jennmac415
10/14/2008, 07:11 PM
Grim... any thoughts on these new bulbs? If they are thought to be better then I would rather go ahead and get them since I have to replace 14 bulbs...

IRISSERVICE
10/14/2008, 07:35 PM
i'm guessing less light going up...
able to fit more bulbs in less space

notenoughtanks
10/14/2008, 07:47 PM
I would think it's less light hitting the reflector. Over half of the bulb that point at the reflector so if you are covering that I would think it would be considerably less output from the reflector. Fursther, t5 lamps are tiny, so how is tiny relfector going to help that much?

Guess if I were you I would order one regular and one new and compare them side by side before getting the other 12 or so, since no-one else has really tried them yet.

jennmac415
10/14/2008, 07:51 PM
my question is why would they come out with a new bulb that has LESS output?? Kind of counterproductive to good business isn't it?

IRISSERVICE
10/14/2008, 07:52 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13547633#post13547633 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by notenoughtanks
I would think it's less light hitting the reflector. Over half of the bulb that point at the reflector so if you are covering that I would think it would be considerably less output from the reflector. Fursther, t5 lamps are tiny, so how is tiny relfector going to help that much?

Guess if I were you I would order one regular and one new and compare them side by side before getting the other 12 or so, since no-one else has really tried them yet.

I did not say it was good or bad...just guessing what it would might do...

notenoughtanks
10/14/2008, 07:54 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13547674#post13547674 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jennmac415
my question is why would they come out with a new bulb that has LESS output?? Kind of counterproductive to good business isn't it?

Which leads me to beleive it must be better, or why the heck would they do it? I'm sure it works using icecap reflectors as the two companies have always worked hand in hand.

jennmac415
10/14/2008, 07:59 PM
how do you think this "reflector" is configured IN the bulb?

The Grim Reefer
10/14/2008, 07:59 PM
Blue lamp, good idea. Internal reflector,,,,,,,,, Perhaps if you are using a bozo fixture with no reflectors but I don't see how they could keep from hurting output when good reflectors are used. I assume it will be just like their T12 VHO lamps, they will come with and without reflectors.

chilwil84
10/14/2008, 08:02 PM
not sure if i missed someone else sayin this but if you have a light fixture that is significantly narrower than your tank the new bulbs will probably not cover your tank as well due to the ability of the individual reflectors (not in the bulb) to spread out the light to cover the edges of your tank, and the internal reflectors will let less light to hit the main reflectors, thus re4ducing the spread. dam bacardi makes getting your thoughts out harder at times

painkiller1009
10/14/2008, 08:32 PM
Do you think they are saving money by using less phosphor and just putting in a so called reflector?
Say they just cover half the inside of the bulb with phosphor and throw in a piece of aluminum foil over the top half and say its now has a built in reflector. Think its cheaper to make?

hahnmeister
10/14/2008, 09:01 PM
My concern is that when you cover 1/2 the bulb with a reflector, you have just removed phosphors from that part of the bulb and are now aiming all energy of the bulb through 1/2 the surface area. Now, call me crazy, but that would require a bunch of phosphors that can handle 2x the power density/energy conversion, etc of a HO bulb... as in, there would have to be the possibility of non-reflector bulb (regular, no internal reflector) with 2x the power density of the current T5HO's... like 4' T5s that are 108 watts, or 3' bulbs at 78 watts... because thats pretty much what putting a reflector on 1/2 the bulb's surface means for the remaining phosphors.

silverwolf72
10/14/2008, 10:05 PM
People overdriveT5 bulbs so I don't see pushing more power at the phosphors as a problem I see this as achieving the same results. I think this has to be geared to people with poor reflectors or no reflectors.
If the are half way decent think how many bulbs you could cram over a tank, you would prob get better heat dissipation to without a reflector holding all that heat next to the bulb

hahnmeister
10/14/2008, 10:24 PM
Optimal ambient temp for a T5 bulb is actually 35 degrees C... many fixtures are designed to trap heat and keep the bulb surface at this temperature. OTOH, the 'cold spots' are where the heat builds up, and where the bulbs are supposed to be cooled/kept at 45 degrees C. Lamps w/o cold-spots just need their whole surface cooled, but to what temp, I do not know.

True, people overdrive bulbs... they also kill those bulbs that much faster by doing so. They also dont overdrive them by 100%... overdriving beyond 30% (or 50% depending on how you do the percentages) starts to show diminished results from the power/output ratio. So will say it again... they must have some 'top secret' phosphors to pull this off.

rob020880
10/14/2008, 10:31 PM
When is someone gonna get some some of these babies and give them a test drive?

The Grim Reefer
10/15/2008, 07:39 AM
I will supposedly be getting some once they are in stock. Supposed to have Ushios at some point too.

lukinrats
10/15/2008, 10:27 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13543682#post13543682 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hahnmeister

It's funny that you mention this Hahn... I spoke with Craig Asato, the Ushio rep that was at Macna XX... He was telling me that they were coming out with T5, and I was like, huh!....

I already have Ushio T5s in my fixture... He argued with me, and said that there is no way, and that I must be mistaken... So, long story short, I sent him a picture of my Ushio 54w T5 lamps

Turned out that I had some that were not meant for Aquarium...
Here is his explaination

"Hello Nathan,

Thank you for the message. So what you have is a very high performance lamp intended for the architectural market. It is probably much brighter than any aquarium lamp out there in terms of visible light output because of the lower color temperature. The 5000K is what we consider "daylight" in the architectural market and is ideal for color matching and has a very balanced spectrum.

The 850 number is broken down as:

8 = 80CRI or better (triphosphor)
50 = 5000 Kelvin

That lamp is specified to be run on a rapid start ballast system and can last you 3-8 years depending upon the operating cycle.

Regards,

Craig Asato"

I had no idea that these are what I had, but from what I could tell they look fairly white to me, instead of that yellowish color ... I only have one running in my fixture too

It was interesting to find this out, and to see Craigs face when I was telling him that I had Ushio T5s

Later,
NathanS

The Grim Reefer
10/15/2008, 10:49 AM
Ushio has been making T5's for quite a while. Just not in the colors we need.

lukinrats
10/15/2008, 11:04 AM
Ya, but the thing is that I did not know that... I was sent the bulbs in question, and told that they were 10,000k... I did not know enough about them then, and had started to wonder even before I spoke with the ushio rep... I noticed that the Ushio bulbs that I had were not much whiter than the GE 3000k that I had... It all makes sense now, and I have contacted Catalina to let them know what I think

A side from all of that, I wanted to mention that I orderd 3 or 4 of the UVL "internal reflector" lamps from Aquarium Specialty... They have not gotten them in yet, but Scott told me they would be there tomorrow... I will come back, and tell what I think of them, when I get them

GoBigOrGoHome
10/15/2008, 11:09 PM
I'll definitely be taggin along on this thread. I've been thinking about buying the nova extreme pro, which has parabolic reflectors, but I've currently got the older model, the nova extreme. Would these internal reflectors be an improvement over the single, 4-bulb stock reflector that comes with the fixture? What does everyone think? Can't wait to see some actual results from people who've purchased them...

jennmac415
10/25/2008, 12:19 AM
anyone received these new bulbs yet? I am holding off ordering my new bulbs until I see if these new ones will be better...

donk228
11/07/2008, 07:36 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13551117#post13551117 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lukinrats

A side from all of that, I wanted to mention that I orderd 3 or 4 of the UVL "internal reflector" lamps from Aquarium Specialty... They have not gotten them in yet, but Scott told me they would be there tomorrow... I will come back, and tell what I think of them, when I get them
Any updates on the internal reflector performance?

jennmac415
12/28/2008, 12:28 AM
anyone have any updates on these new UVL bulbs YET????

strendo
12/28/2008, 08:47 AM
I bought 2 of the internal reflector bulbs and have been running them for about a month.
I'll definately stick with them, the best actinic I've used so far.

jennmac415
12/28/2008, 07:09 PM
pics???

painkiller1009
12/28/2008, 11:24 PM
I have one to for about a month. The 54w super actintic bulb.
Im still out on this one though.

I still think that a good slr is better then a in-bulb reflector.
Now if your doing a frag tank then you can just by stand offs, end caps, and a ballast along with these in-bulb reflector bulbs. Saves some money not having to buy slr's.

Anyone else have any info or opinions?

indianagrays
12/28/2008, 11:31 PM
i ordered one of these

http://www.hellolights.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1310

and one of these

http://www.hellolights.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1313

are they these "new" style bulbs?

painkiller1009
12/28/2008, 11:32 PM
O and I called the UVI company and talked with a guy for a while there. Found out they were in the same state as me.
He said that there was a 30% increase in output for this bulb. I asked if they tested the non internal reflector bulb with a slr and he didn't know.
So I said of coarse there would be an increase with some sort of reflector in place. He uses vho t12 on his personal tank at home he said, and was about to switch out to t5ho.
He didn't sound to sold on this bulb either, but did say that there is going to be some new colors coming out this year. I remember he said one bulb being like an ATI blue+ in color.

painkiller1009
12/28/2008, 11:39 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14033019#post14033019 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by indianagrays
i ordered one of these

http://www.hellolights.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1310

and one of these

http://www.hellolights.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1313

are they these "new" style bulbs?

If I had to guess, the second bulb listed there is the new style with internal reflector.
Just because of the R in the description of the bulb.
48" (HO,T5) Super Actinic R 54W - UV lighting

indianagrays
12/28/2008, 11:51 PM
how would one mount a bulb in a fixture that has an internal reflector? will it be obvious? would the internal reflector essentially make my fixture's reflector useless? (on that bulbs reflector of course)

painkiller1009
12/28/2008, 11:56 PM
Yea it is obvious to the eye where the reflector is on the bulb. Also you want the label side facing down as the internal reflector is on the opposite side of the label.
My tek reflector still catches some light coming off the sides of the bulb and shoots it back into the tank. But yea its pretty much useless now.

indianagrays
12/28/2008, 11:59 PM
hrm...would like to see some readings and comparisons taken of the bulbs with and without internal reflectors on the same fixture...

i see you are running those two bulbs in your fixture also

my other two bulbs will be the stock TRU 10k and actinic bulbs that my new fixture is coming with, hopefully i can get a nice color out of some combination of the bulbs

painkiller1009
12/29/2008, 12:00 AM
BTW the new 454nm bulb is out now.
http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=28_39_194

painkiller1009
12/29/2008, 12:03 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14033178#post14033178 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by indianagrays
hrm...would like to see some readings and comparisons taken of the bulbs with and without internal reflectors on the same fixture...

i see you are running those two bulbs in your fixture also

my other two bulbs will be the stock TRU 10k and actinic bulbs that my new fixture is coming with, hopefully i can get a nice color out of some combination of the bulbs

Yes I am but the only bulb with the internal reflector is the super actintic.
Grab yourself a couple of ati blue+ bulbs to try also.
Thats my favorite t5 bulb out. Lots of par and nice coral popping color.

indianagrays
12/29/2008, 12:22 AM
yeah, gonna play around with these 6 bulbs, see what i can get to work out, make adjustments from there

CookieJar
12/29/2008, 12:32 AM
For the frag tank I'm working on I was going to use MH + 2 VHO, but due to space constraints (VHO bulbs are too long at 23"), the T5 w/ internal reflectors seems the way to go to save space, being ~ 1" shorter and especially without having the 2-3" width of reflectors. Any PAR comparisons yet for the overdriven T5s w/ internal reflectors?

madadi
12/29/2008, 02:40 AM
guys, the bulbs are not designed to be run without a reflector. it helps bounce the light into the tank that would otherwise bounce off the reflector and hit the back of the bulb. the light coming out of the sides of the bulb still need a good reflector to bounce of off to end up in the tank. UVL brought out a new blue bulb because they do not have one summilar to ATI blue+ and Giesmann actinic+ that will peak around 450-460. the UVL pure actinic peaks around 420 like the regular UVL actinic T12s. you will get a slight increase in light when using the bulbs with an internal reflector and slr reflector. but a standard bulb with an slr reflector will out perform the bulb with internal reflector WITHOUT an slr reflector.

CookieJar
12/29/2008, 02:44 AM
thanks for clarifying. moral of the story, get a good reflector no matter what bulb! :D

The Grim Reefer
12/29/2008, 10:45 AM
The good reflectors are designed to prevent restrike. If UVL ever gets their 454 with reflector to market I will test it but my prediction is that with decent reflectors the internal reflected lamp will produce less par than the non reflected lamp.

I think the use for these will be flat reflected fixtures and for supplimental lighting where there isn't room for a reflector. Might explain why the only reflected lamp available right now is the actinic.

painkiller1009
12/29/2008, 11:32 AM
Grim all the bulbs are available with internal reflectors now at aquarium specialty.
http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=28_39_194&sort=products_sort_order&page=2
Here is the link for the 454nm bulb with reflector.
http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=28_39_194&products_id=3129

reefsafe
01/21/2009, 03:34 PM
Can anyone report how these compare with the super actinic t12's? Thanks.

Icefire
01/21/2009, 07:06 PM
lukinrats I find it funny Ushios say is ideal for color matching and "daylight" at 5000K

For color matching you need 100CRI or near (there is some 98CRI bulb out there) and Daylight is normally 6500K in the industry..

The Grim Reefer
01/21/2009, 07:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14210555#post14210555 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Icefire
lukinrats I find it funny Ushios say is ideal for color matching and "daylight" at 5000K

For color matching you need 100CRI or near (there is some 98CRI bulb out there) and Daylight is normally 6500K in the industry..

For photography a 5100K lamp is supposed to be the best fluorescent as far as color rendering goes.

As far as UVL lamps go I heard an initial report that the internal reflector lamps are noticeably dimer than the non reflected lamp when installed in reflectors. Still waiting for UVL to send the samples they promised.

jennmac415
01/21/2009, 07:42 PM
does ANYONE have these new bulbs yet... what do you think of them?

GoBigOrGoHome
01/22/2009, 11:20 PM
Grim: clarification question: The UVL bulbs are dimmer without reflectors than the non-reflected lamps are with reflectors, or is the comparison using internal reflector lamps w/ supplemental parabolic reflectors vs. non-internal reflector lamps also w/ supplemental parabolic reflectors???

The Grim Reefer
01/22/2009, 11:29 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14220763#post14220763 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GoBigOrGoHome
Grim: clarification question: The UVL bulbs are dimmer without reflectors than the non-reflected lamps are with reflectors, or is the comparison using internal reflector lamps w/ supplemental parabolic reflectors vs. non-internal reflector lamps also w/ supplemental parabolic reflectors???

The word I got was that a internal reflected super actinic and a non internal reflected SA were placed in reflectors and the lamp with the internal reflector produced noticeably less light. I haven't tested these myself yet but I trust the source.

UVL has my address and stuff, still waiting for the samples.

GoBigOrGoHome
01/23/2009, 08:13 AM
that's interesting info. So really, the only way these bulbs are better than the non-internal reflected ones is if you're packing as many bulbs over a tank as possible, whereas each parabolic reflector takes up an inch and a half or so.

The Grim Reefer
01/23/2009, 09:12 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14222138#post14222138 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GoBigOrGoHome
that's interesting info. So really, the only way these bulbs are better than the non-internal reflected ones is if you're packing as many bulbs over a tank as possible, whereas each parabolic reflector takes up an inch and a half or so.

Maybe, I dunno.

kgross
01/23/2009, 11:55 AM
That is what I thought was going to happen. I wonder how much better the internal reflectors are than no reflectors as well.

Kim

GoBigOrGoHome
01/23/2009, 12:44 PM
I've got no experience with them, but I would say that this is where the advantage comes in. If you're doing a retrofit set-up, and you just don't have enough money for a high quality ballast, waterproof endcaps, and some good parabolic reflectors and bulbs, you could save some money just by buying the bulbs w/ internal reflectors. Not to mention, you could have bulbs at 1" spaces instead of 1.5-2". Imagine, 18-54 watt bulbs over a 75-gal. Beautiful. Better stick with the sps lol. In this respect, it's kind of a step backward in the world of T-5. We're constantly trying to make more efficient bulbs, reflectors, ballasts, cooling systems, etc, and now, here we are, just making a way that is slightly less efficient, but who cares, because you can jam as many bulbs as you want over a 12" wide tank! Seems counter-productive, I guess. I hope no one takes my opinion here too seriously, though, as I have no actual experience with the new UVL bulbs.