PDA

View Full Version : newbie looking for help

Jimcat
10/05/2008, 05:02 PM
I set up a 90 gallon tank 2 months ago. Put in 100 lbs of live Fuji rock and have been doing 10 % water changes once a week since then I have a prizm skimmer and a "aqua clear" mechanical filter. All purchases were done under the (watchful eye?) of my local LFS. One mistake I have made is using tap water. Looking at this site my next purchase will be an RO unit. I am getting readings of .25 for amonia. Any suggestions on what equipment and or next steps should be.

chris4869
10/05/2008, 05:42 PM
I'm afraid that prizm skimmer and the aqua clear filter are not enough for your tank unless you don't plan on having anything in your tank.

You might want to put a decent protein skimmer second on your list.

By the way welcome to Reef Central, and good luck on your new addiction. It's a rewarding hobby. :D

kgross
10/05/2008, 05:53 PM
First step put a good skimmer on that tank, your prizm is not very good.

Second add some water movement to the tank.

3rd find a new LFS or somebody else to give you advice.

Before I can give you any more advice I need more info. What are you planning on keeping in the tank? What stuff are you putting in the tank right now? are you adding any conditioners on a regular basis? .25 ppm ammonia is not terrible, but it is not good, it should be undetectable as well as the nitrite.

Kim

moondoggy4
10/05/2008, 09:07 PM
Join the club of people who bought the Red Sea Prizm, lucky it wasn't a huge cost. Try this site as you just did so you don't buy the wrong stuff again Welcome and good luck