PDA

View Full Version : Hofer Gurgle Buster

FranktheTankTx
10/05/2008, 07:59 PM
I'm sure this topic has been discussed before - but I just built one for my eshopps overflow. Now, I can't try it out yet because there isn't water in the tank yet.

But my question is - can the bell be a little higher than the baffle in the box? It would appear that his is higher on his website - http://home.everestkc.net/jrobertson57268/HGB/HGB_construction.html

Because I had to use a 1" couple to connect to the stand pipe of the eshopps it causes my bell to sit about 1/2" above the baffle. Will this have any effect on correct operation?

FranktheTankTx
10/05/2008, 09:59 PM
Bumpity bump

FranktheTankTx
10/06/2008, 09:44 PM
Sorry - gotta bump it again.

kindafun
11/18/2008, 01:22 PM
Hi, I'm just going to try this today myself. Did you get water in your tank and try it yet?

hndakd
11/18/2008, 02:33 PM
i use one on my cichlid tank and the bell sits higher than the baffle. about an inch and its fine. just make sure you use enough air line tubing to go all the way down to the holes so you can adjust the noise level. I also had to go back and drill more holes in mine because after awhile the 4 that i had done originally clogged up with poo.

had to edit this because i forgot something... the airline tube on the top shouldnt be all hanging higher than the overflow box. if it ever clogs to the point that the tube is submerged (airline that is) it will create a strong flush and hopefully pull whatever is clogging it down or at the very least prevent an overflow in the box.

kindafun
11/19/2008, 07:03 AM
Thanks. I put one in last night. Still haven't found the magic adjustment for silent operation but will continue trying.

hndakd
11/19/2008, 07:12 PM
once you get the level of the bell right it wont be completely silent. you want the air tube just under the water line inside the bell. I hope that makes sense. It will get less noisey as stuff builds up on it

kindafun
11/19/2008, 09:52 PM
It's getting better.

For anybody that might find this later, my cap was on too far, making it so the water was lapping around the cap. I was able to raise it so that the water doesn't touch it which opens up the opening so that the water doesn't rush through it as much. Much quieter now.