PDA

View Full Version : Noisy Koralia 1

mikellini
10/05/2008, 11:34 PM
I have a K1, and I only stopped using it because I wanted more flow, so I got a Tunze Nano6025... Anyway, I'm setting up a new tank and the K1 is circulating right now, and I really like the flow from the Koralia... but it's really quite noisy. I haven't noticed this before, kind of like a buzzing. It's clean, but maybe I should take it apart and really clean it out. In any case, if I were to go the Koralia route instead of the Tunze, I would upgrade to a higher flow pump, probably the K3 or K4. My question is this: is it common for these pumps to be noisy, and will this be an issue if I get the larger K3 or 4?

Cody Ray
10/06/2008, 01:09 AM
The impeller shaft probably has some buildup on it that is causing the impeller to rattle. Soak it and the impeller in some vinegar. If it wasn't cleaned well after being taken out that debris can really cake itself on.

Reefer07
10/06/2008, 08:34 AM
Ya clean out the shaft and what size tank are you running this in?

mikellini
10/06/2008, 10:05 AM
It's a 40g long, 48x12x16 or so... at this point I'm planning on moving the modified Tunze over, but it puts out somewhat laminar flow compared to the Koralia, so I just might switch over to the dark side :p... I've also seen the controllable Koralias, but the controller is about $350 on top of the pumps, so I won't be going that route... I'd like to have just 1 large powerhead (K4), but the length of the tank might not fit well with that, so I may have to get 2 K3s