PDA

View Full Version : White eggcrate too reflective?

Dizzle63
10/06/2008, 10:18 AM
As a top for my tank, I am using white eggcrate. I currently do not have any fish that have jumped through the eggcrate, but I have had flasher wrasses in the past that I have lost due to jumping through the eggcrate. I made a top out of black screen door material, and this made the colors look better and also gave a cleaner look to the tank. The only bad thing is that the screen would dip into the water and I am worried about the loss of light due to the large number of holes. Has anyone else noticed the color difference when using eggcrate?

caesar2528
10/06/2008, 01:41 PM
You will lose light as egg crate is also known as "Light Diffuser"

nikon187
10/06/2008, 01:52 PM
with white eggcrate on my tank, my entire room was lit up. With the black pond mesh lid i built you couldn't even notice

crvz
10/06/2008, 01:54 PM
you will surely have light affected due to the use of egg crate, and I could expect having a color shift as well. why did the screen dip into the water, though? You should be able to make something that sits above the water line.

Dizzle63
10/07/2008, 11:42 AM
Nikon, do the colors in the tank look crisp with the pond netting? That is the next material I am going to use.