PDA

View Full Version : My skimmer question :)

mojo~
10/06/2008, 10:40 AM
I havent really thought about until now. But I have tested out many skimmers. I am done with it. I want to buy my last one. I am looking at a few. I have had aquaC, MSX, ETSS, Vertex,Octopus and a couple others over the years. Some have performed better than others but I want perfomance and a skimmer that isnt real finiky. ANy suggestions would be great. These are what I am looking at.
Tank is only a 75g with 30g sump, mostly sps.
Wil be upgrading in another year or two to a 120 or so.
Looking at:
Bubble king mini 160
Deltec recirc
orca 200 same price range but a little large
or should i be looking at a cone? Just dont really want a sicce pump skimmer. too picky for my taste. I want to be able to turn it off and on with no issues.
I am not using ozone as of now but might in the future. Not sure yet.
Using a light house controller,6x54 t5HO icecap SLR's. Thanks in advance.

GSMguy
10/06/2008, 11:00 AM
ATB small with eheim 1260

My small runs a sicce with a pinwheel and it works fine I turn it off whenever I want and it always starts up

mojo~
10/06/2008, 04:16 PM
anyone else

fishtk75
10/06/2008, 05:43 PM
Euroreef on my 75 and ASM on my 120 both work very well easy to clean too. I turn off the skimmer take off cup clean and turn back on.

http://www.euro-reef.com/index.shtml

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/24243/product.web

But if you can get a recirculating type they work better.

mojo~
10/06/2008, 05:54 PM
I guess I am looking to buy my last skimmer for a while. I have a das ex 1 used on the way. which is a deltec knock off. I have read about all there is on hte BK mini 160. Wish I could find a used one. I have read on the atb small as well. Basically a cone with a injector. Nice but same price as BK. Just not sure. what to get yet. Any other help would be great.

fishtk75
10/06/2008, 06:16 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13496401#post13496401 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mojo46825
I guess I am looking to buy my last skimmer for a while. I have a das ex 1 used on the way. which is a deltec knock off. I have read about all there is on hte BK mini 160. Wish I could find a used one. I have read on the atb small as well. Basically a cone with a injector. Nice but same price as BK. Just not sure. what to get yet. Any other help would be great.

If that is what you are getting and looks as the pic on this link that will be a good skimmer. Euroreef and ASM have ones that work the same way. That BK mini 160 I see uses the same system a pinwheel pump and euroreef and ASM and alot others and $$ more.
If you find used go for that das ex 1.
http://stores.petorama.net/Detail.bok?no=73

reef2
10/06/2008, 06:21 PM
ive got a das ex2 and once u set it u can pretty much forget it. i really like my recirc skimmer. seems way easier to set up and dont have to worry about water level and what not.

mojo~
10/06/2008, 07:28 PM
yes thats one i have comng I bought it used to use as I was unsure on what to get and I already sold my other skimmers off.
I will set it up, give it a shot. If not i am ready to purchase about the best I can get. I jsut hate thinking about throwing that much $$ ata skimmer. But if its worth it I will.

mojo~
10/06/2008, 09:46 PM
Still liking the bk mini, hmm

GSMguy
10/07/2008, 09:49 AM
why?

I don't get why the BK mini is so popular, it's not a "bad" skimmer quite the opposite I just don't get it. The footprint is small that's true but the reaction chamber is kind of short because the pump is in the base.

I'm just wondering what you think the distinction that sets the mini apart is, they are very popular that can't be denied

mojo~
10/07/2008, 10:01 AM
I have been looking at all the options really. I am looking at the pump, type of injection, power usage, design and build quality. If I am going to spend upwards of $900 or so on a skimmer I want it to meet my expectations. It has to fit in my sump as well too . I can anything with a 8 chamber or less basically. I had a msx 200 in there. So from what I have read the people that have bought a BK mini are really happy with it. even though they paid a premium price they are happy with the skimmer. I cant say I have read anything bad on the ATB small. Looks to be a little different design, Cone is obvious. but also uses a ehiem pump with a n injector. Not sure really the difference in air draw is or skimmer performance. Still trying to figure that out. The build quality on the bubble kings from what I have read is 2nd to none. That is a big factor as well. I have read all the owners forums and see you chime in quite a bit, lol its cool. do you have any pics of your atb in action? Thanks for your input.

mojo~
10/07/2008, 10:02 AM
As of right now I am leaning in this order
BK mini 160
BK mini 180 gen 2
ATB small
options are still open though.

GSMguy
10/07/2008, 10:14 AM
The ATB does not use an injector the KZ cone does it's a standard needlewheel and there is a mrs option as well the build quality on the BK is very nice same with Atb

Here is why I think the atb is a better choice than the mini160 it's has the air and water input at the base for higher dwell time, the large base of the cone helps a great deal to sort the water and air, sorting is the process in which the air and water seperate the water goes down the air goes up, the cone shape, the cone eccelerates the sorting process while reducing turbulence greatly. the low turbulence is what sets the Atb apart

I can post some pictures that back up my theory but I can't cut and paste on my iPhone so I need to turn my desktop on give me a minute

mojo~
10/07/2008, 10:26 AM
thanks your right i was thinking KZ of course an help would be great since obviously this is a big purchase for me.

GSMguy
10/07/2008, 10:34 AM
I see that you have been searching for a skimmer like I was.

I went thru the Via Aqua, then the Aqua C, then 2 deltecs and a CnC marine, before i landed on the ATB.

4 days on my 75G system
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q45/GSMguy/IMG_8751.jpg

Air from the tip top to the very bottom...
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q45/GSMguy/IMG_8704.jpg

no microbubbles thanks to the large volume of water at the bottom and the bubble plate setup this is the sorting area i was talking about...
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q45/GSMguy/IMG_8706.jpg

both the BK and ATB are Fantastic skimmers I dont want to focus on the BK because its a very good skimmer, I am just trying to point out what i think is great about the ATB design.

mojo~
10/07/2008, 02:21 PM
who do suggest to purchase one from.

GSMguy
10/07/2008, 04:09 PM
Any ATB dealer, i am not sure about the dealers, allot of people also buy direct from Victor at ATB usa.

mojo~
10/07/2008, 05:05 PM
hmm they are really the same price , I can actually get a Bubble king cheaper. How many times can you really say that. Bubble king skimmer is the cheaper of the two.

GSMguy
10/07/2008, 05:16 PM
hmm well then if you don't think it's worth the extra money, I think the extra price is warranted the small is probobly closer to the 180mini in performance

Prolone has done a great job getting the prices on the BK down

mojo~
10/08/2008, 05:14 PM
I think i have made my mind up and am going with the bk mini 180 gen 2. Thanks for all the info.

dwilly
10/08/2008, 05:35 PM
I think the BK is the right choice. I have the Octo NW 200 on my 75 and I have the gate valve mod and the mesh mod (both a lot of work). I did a lot of research and I was going to buy the BK but I couldn't convince my wife. (I'm still hoping to get it for Christmas.)

mojo~
10/08/2008, 09:29 PM
they are red and white !!!!

HenryTran
10/08/2008, 10:20 PM
how is the msx 200? thinking about getting one.

mojo~
10/09/2008, 07:10 AM
it was a good skimmer by all means. If you want to push it to its limits it can be bit finiky. I did think it was more stable than the 160. You would be happy with it. Good skimmer for hte price. Really hard to beat for a skimmer under 300. It is 8 inch diameter skimmer so its a pretty good size unit.

Saulsa
10/10/2008, 11:17 PM
i have a friend that had a BK180 with nothing but issues with the pump cavitating.. in fact that happened with another 180 that he had. (he owns a store).. now he's switched to ATB and loves it. i personally just bought an external Small ATB with eheim and its a Champ, the nog is identical to GSM on my 90..

i'll be using it to upgrade to a 150 in the next few weeks.. and probably use it if i go to a 225 down the road.

the prices on BK have come down a lot due to higher manufacturing and importing to the US since they've became so popular.. dont get me wrong, they're GReat Skimmers, just after seeing a 200 deluxe, 180 , and 160 get beaten by an ATB small-i was sold..

mojo~
10/11/2008, 06:09 AM
i am starting to lean towards a cone. I still havent bought one yet. Still looking.

jnb
12/06/2008, 06:35 AM
first time I have heard of that issue in ANY BK thread on RC, with the mini - must have been too low of water level. my bk mini 160 runs great and could not offer a better suggestion after owning aqua, euro, h&s, elos - all issues with those were gone with the mini

- I have a 180gen2 about to go in because I expanded my tank

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13525104#post13525104 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Saulsa
i have a friend that had a BK180 with nothing but issues with the pump cavitating.. in fact that happened with another 180 that he had. (he owns a store).. now he's switched to ATB and loves it. i personally just bought an external Small ATB with eheim and its a Champ, the nog is identical to GSM on my 90..

i'll be using it to upgrade to a 150 in the next few weeks.. and probably use it if i go to a 225 down the road.

the prices on BK have come down a lot due to higher manufacturing and importing to the US since they've became so popular.. dont get me wrong, they're GReat Skimmers, just after seeing a 200 deluxe, 180 , and 160 get beaten by an ATB small-i was sold..