PDA

View Full Version : Sumpless for softies

Orvis
10/06/2008, 01:27 PM
I'm setting up a (standard, no overflow) 55 gal. soft coral reef tank. The tank will have at least two Rio powerheads (3100 and 2100) for water movement and circulation. As of now the tank has these two powerheads plus a Tetra Tec 500 with carbon until break in is complete. Lighting is two 65 watt pc blue actinics and two 65 watt pc daylight bulbs. I have approx. 30lbs. of rock and getting 20 lbs. more. Will also be adding live sand. Have a Sea Clone 100 skimmer for the tank also. Fish load will be a Cinnamon clown and two or three other smaller fish. My question is: With dilligent maintenance, can I keep soft corals and possibly an anemone in this tank without a sump? Chances of success?

Orvis
10/06/2008, 02:08 PM
I know there has got to be someone with a sumpless reef, anyone?

in2deep
10/06/2008, 02:49 PM
Our LFS had a little 20 gallon sumpless set-up for a few years and the softies grew so large that they grew right out the top of the tank and it had to be torn down cuz it was so solid with corals that no light could enter the tank. Had a little tiny skimmer and monthly water changes. Watch what you wish for LOL.

swhaley40
10/06/2008, 03:51 PM
Yes, for sure. I'm currently running a relatively young but successful SPS reef without a sump. Acros, Monti's, Styllo, birds nest...haven't lost anything. Colors are amazing and growth has been good. 75 gallon, no mechanical or biological filtration other than live rock, remora pro with mag 5 pulling tons of dark skimmate(this is a good skimmer, contrary to what some people on this site say). I change 10 gallons per week with Tropic Marin.

VengefulNemesis
10/06/2008, 05:16 PM
I have run a 29 for 2 years with softies and a LTA without a sump. Now I have a 75 with softies, LPS, and BTA's, I do weekly 5 gal waterchanges. Also have a BPS3c mounted above the tank, never had any problems not running a sump.

Orvis
10/07/2008, 05:59 AM
I like what I'm hearing, thanks everyone!

moondoggy4
10/07/2008, 08:04 PM
I have a 33 gallon tank in my son's room without a sump . I found out you need good water circulation and a very strong skimmer with a good water change policy. Great things is you save alot of money on electricity.

edwar050
10/07/2008, 09:02 PM
I don't know about the pc's with the anemone though it can be done. I also don't know about the flow, you should shoot for some kinda wavemaker in there and I am sure it would help out alot in the 4 ft 55 gallon. Big thing would be aquascaping to reduce dead spots, you will likely have alot in a 55 with two powerheads, especially if you stack the rock. If you do large water changes it should be fine.

edwar050
10/07/2008, 09:04 PM
Also... stocking,I would really consider stocking making sure I did not overstock. I would want a really low bio-mass and bio-load on the system and would incorporate a veracious cleanup crew if I was going sumpless. I think 55's make good candidates for behind/over the tank sumps/fuges due to tempered glass.

Orvis
10/08/2008, 11:30 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13504150#post13504150 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by moondoggy4
I have a 33 gallon tank in my son's room without a sump . I found out you need good water circulation and a very strong skimmer with a good water change policy. Great things is you save alot of money on electricity.

Electricity consumption is part of my concern. I don't want to have a high tech tank that consumes gobbs of energy and is labor intensive just to look after all of the equipment.

Orvis
10/08/2008, 11:37 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13504517#post13504517 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by edwar050
I don't know about the pc's with the anemone though it can be done. I also don't know about the flow, you should shoot for some kinda wavemaker in there and I am sure it would help out alot in the 4 ft 55 gallon. Big thing would be aquascaping to reduce dead spots, you will likely have alot in a 55 with two powerheads, especially if you stack the rock. If you do large water changes it should be fine.

I'm not sure about the anemone yet, was just thinking about having one in there for the cinnamon clown. I would place it at the highest point in the tank so it could get the most light possible. I suppose I could try it and if the anemone doesn't prosper then get a metal halide for it. I think it's Aqualight that makes a clamp-on 150 watt MH that would work on this tank. I've seen them on lfs tanks.

edwar050
10/10/2008, 10:43 PM
The thing about anemones is that they tend to roam and in a 55 gallon tank with small front to back ratio I personally believe that a good percentage in smaller tanks find there way into powerheads. You should consider screening them off if you want to keep one with a foam filter or added custom design of gutter guard.