PDA

View Full Version : looking to get a skimmer

HermitCrabFan
10/06/2008, 02:08 PM
so I've been putting off a skimmer far too long, tank running almost a year now, only have one fish and a couple crabs, 55 gallon tank and about 15-20 gallons in the sump. I'm kinda lazy on the water changes, don't do them too often. Since I put on my new lights algae has gotten really out of hand so I've decided to finally get a skimmer going.

I just don't know what to get, I was looking at the octopus dnw 110 recirculating skimmer. I'd like to spend around the 150-200 dollor range. Is there anything that will work well in that price range any of you can recommend?

does the skimmer being recirculating even matter much?

and if I really need to spend more than that for something that works good and isn't junk than let me know

I also don't plan to have a heavy bioload, I really just like having a few small things that have a lot of room to move around in.

My spider crab will be the largest thing I ever get, he's been growing pretty quick too.

I would like to go up to a 120 gallon in the future, so I also don't want to under purchase something now.

thanks for any info you guys can give.

burton14e7
10/06/2008, 02:22 PM
It's not really going to be possible to get a skimmer for 150-200 that you will later use on a 120. Or should I say it will be really hard. I'm sure there is a skimmer that you can buy for that price and then later mod but I'm not the skimmer mod guru like some of the others here. I would say a DAS EX-1 would be pretty darn good for the 55 and a DAS EX-2 would be sweet for a 120g. THats what I had on my 120 and I just downgraded to a 58g because of electricity and I'm using the same skimmer.

painkiller1009
10/06/2008, 03:31 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13495031#post13495031 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by burton14e7
It's not really going to be possible to get a skimmer for 150-200 that you will later use on a 120. Or should I say it will be really hard. I'm sure there is a skimmer that you can buy for that price and then later mod but I'm not the skimmer mod guru like some of the others here. I would say a DAS EX-1 would be pretty darn good for the 55 and a DAS EX-2 would be sweet for a 120g. THats what I had on my 120 and I just downgraded to a 58g because of electricity and I'm using the same skimmer.

Did you put all of your livestock from the 120 in the 58?
Do you notice a difference in skimmate production after going to a smaller tank?

burton14e7
10/06/2008, 03:58 PM
Everything that was in the 120 is now in the 58g but I'm waiting on some plumbing parts in the mail to finish the loop to the sump. So I can't tell yet, I just made the switch on Saturday. I'm going to bet that when I get the skimmer back up on Wed that it will pull extra nasty for a week. Right now just the circulation on the skimmer and media reactors are going to keep the water from going stale but I don't have the recirculating pumps running skimming just sump water.

kgross
10/06/2008, 05:19 PM
Don't know if it would fit into your sump, but you could go with the Octopus NW-200, it is just a little out of the price range you had.

Kim

HermitCrabFan
10/06/2008, 05:47 PM
how much of a difference does it being recirculating make?

there's the 150 recirculating model, a bit more money than the one you suggested that isn't, and it's rated about 5 gallons less. was wondering what kind of difference it made.

also, do you know if these are generic replaceable pumps or will I have to buy from this company if I ever need to replace the pump?

kgross
10/06/2008, 06:29 PM
Recirculating allows you to slow down the flow of water, so it does do a better job of pulling stuff out of the water. Myself I would go with the larger skimmer just because of the larger volume.

You can replace the pumps with other pumps, but the fittings are metric so to change them out you have do a little work on the plumbing but it is not much difference than changing the pump on any needlewheel skimmer. They are normally designed for one pump and to change to a different one you have to do some modifications.

Kim

Aynesa
10/06/2008, 06:30 PM
I sing the praises of Euro Reef. Worth every penny if you ask me...with that said, it takes alot of pennies to get one.

HermitCrabFan
10/14/2008, 10:50 PM
so I've come down to these 3 skimmers, not sure which I should go with so if you guys could help decide, that'd be great

OCT-DNW-150 Octopus Recirculating Skimmer
# Allows the user to input the exact amount of water desired to be skimmed.
# Requires a feed pump or plumbed from an overflow to inject water into skimmer.
# Needlewheel pump driven.

# In sump or out of sump.
# Rating: Up to 185 gallons.
# Diameter = 6" Height = 26"
# Footprint = 5"x15"

OCT-DNW-200 Octopus Recirculating Skimmer
# Requires a feed pump or plumbed from an overflow to inject water into skimmer.

# Rating: Up to 300 gallons.
# Diameter = 8" Height = 30"
# Footprint = 9"x21"

OCT-DDNW-150 Octopus Recirculating Skimmer
# 2 OTP 2000 pumps at 500 gph each included.

# Rating: Up to 350 gallons.
# Diameter = 6" Height = 24"

they price at 265 and the last 2 and 325

not sure if all the info they have listed for them is correct or not, some reason the ddnw-150 is rated the same gallons as the ddnw-250 which is a lot more money.

I don't know if that 3rd one I listed having 2 pumps really makes it work that much better or if it's just gonna be 1 more pump to replace in the future

and do these forums have a place for octopus skimmers? I noticed stuff for a lot of manufactures but nothing for these, or am I looking for the wrong thing?

kgross
10/15/2008, 11:05 AM
Of those three I would go with the DNW-200, the larger diameter gives more water in the skimmer, plus the more height gives it more contact time.

I do not believe that Octopus is a sponsor of RC so they do not have a forum, but there are quite a few Octopus dealers on here.

stonedage
10/15/2008, 12:19 PM
what about a bubble-magus skimmer?

missippboy
10/15/2008, 12:26 PM
I would just find a cheap Red Sea Prizm skimmer for now and when you switch to bigger tank get a bigger skimmer

ncox38
10/15/2008, 12:40 PM
I would advise against the DNW-200. I have one of the older ones (still basically the same design) and it does not pull enough air with out modding for it to be an effective skimmer (even with mods it is too low). If you are going to run it in sump (it is fairly large and will eat a lot of sump room) there is more room to mod the venturi because it doesnt matter if it leaks a little when you turn it off. If you are going to run it externally, as I do, there is not much room to drill a larger air intake hole without drilling into the space needed to back off the unions to disassemble the skimmer. On a smaller system it might work fine out of the box, I have a 200 gallon system and it cant keep up, even though it is rated for 300 gallons. I would explore other options and avoid all Octopus skimmers with the OTP series pumps if you plan to run this externally. Just trying to help you learn from my mistakes.

Driftwood
10/15/2008, 01:33 PM
I have experience with a bunch of different skimmers and for the money a Euro-reef or ASM is your best bet. I have heard that the octopus are awesome also, but I have no experience with them.

HermitCrabFan
10/15/2008, 01:56 PM
haven't heard of bubble-magus, will have to look it up.

I'd rather not go for a smaller cheaper one now, then a larger later, I'd actually like to upgrade tank size kinda soon, 55 is much too narrow for my tastes really, I'm also going to have to tie in some tank for my spider crab, it's growing pretty fast and with the way it's been molting then next one should be getting gigantic.

I do plan to run it external, troubles with the 200 though? well that sure stinks. means more looking around.

going from what kgross has been saying though it seems I want something with a lot of water surface area

GSMguy
10/15/2008, 02:36 PM
Bubble magnus 160> octo dnw anything

I'd also look into msx 160, if you want something that will actually work longterm on the 120

GSMguy
10/15/2008, 02:39 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13552064#post13552064 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Driftwood
I have experience with a bunch of different skimmers and for the money a Euro-reef or ASM is your best bet. I have heard that the octopus are awesome also, but I have no experience with them.

Asm seems to be out of buisness and euro reef will be next these latest chinese skimmers work better at half the price

Aynesa
10/15/2008, 02:39 PM
If you know you're going to upgrade to a bigger tank later (And lets face it-- y'are ;) ) then I'd go ahead and get a skimmer for the bigger tank now. So invest a little more cash in a system you know will work for the bigger tank. That's what I did with my Euro Reef.

HermitCrabFan
10/15/2008, 03:23 PM
euro reefs do look nice, but quite a price tag I see on them, I'd like to stay in a 350 or under price range.

those msx skimmers, is there a place other than marinesolutions to buy them? the smallest they have is the 200, which for 280 doesn't look bad, I don't really understand what they mean about recharging them every year, guess the mesh wheel wears out or something? they also seem to be in sump only, I wanted to get one that could be used in or out of sump.

skimmer shopping is enough to drive someone crazy it seems

in sump if I get a leak means no big mess, but means under stand where height could be an issue, the msx ones don't seem super tall though

Aynesa
10/15/2008, 03:35 PM
Pay attention to the footprint, too. The footprints of some of these get simply enormous. I have a 20-30 gallon sump, and ruled out most skimmers quickly because of the size of the footprint. Same thing applies for HOB skimmers, but frankly, I wouldn't want a dirty, ugly sump cup sticking up from the back of my tank. I've had 2 HOB's and 2 In sumps, and in my experience, In sump works MUCH Better, and are much less messy. You can also get a larger system, and despite what Yoda thinks, Size DOES MATTER! :)

HermitCrabFan
10/15/2008, 04:03 PM
yeah, wasn't planning to do a HOB just either sit it on the floor if it was too tall for under the stand or stick it in the sump if it fit

I also didn't really want it in the sump so this new 300 dollor thing didn't get crud growing all over it

but I guess things can't look like new forever haha

Aynesa
10/15/2008, 04:20 PM
The crud on mine is on the INSIDE actually :) I wouldn't worry much about the outside of it. I've had mine going in my sump for a couple of months now and it doesn't look dirty at all.

HermitCrabFan
10/15/2008, 04:40 PM
I currently have a pretty nasty algae problem going on though, my one turbo snail looks like it has a big afro

hopefully I'm correct in that putting in a skimmer will clear out the organics in the water that break down and feed the algae growth

I know I should also get on a better water change schedule. making about 15 gallons of RO/DI water takes hours though, flooded the bathroom floor a couple times when I forgot to put my jug in the bathtub instead of on the floor, what a mess

Aynesa
10/15/2008, 04:44 PM
Oh definately! I had an old Jackson Aquatics skimmer on my tank, and it broke. I didn't realize it for a good couple of months, it had never skimmed well so I saw bubbles and water and thought all was well... NASTY red and hair algae breakouts. AS soon as I got my Euro Reef skimmer, the algae problems vanished within the week.

HermitCrabFan
10/15/2008, 04:58 PM
I think my heart just skipped a beat when you mentioned how fast your algae went away from the new skimmer

I get so depressed when I look at my tank and see this algae all over

also this rabbitfish always flashing it's spines makes me worry about putting any other fish in the tank, kinda regret getting it, that doesn't help me feel good about all the money I keep putting into it hehe

but I love my crabs, they are so cute

btw, which euro reef did you buy and how much was it?

I still can't decide what to get, think this will take quite a bit of research still

I've had this tank up almost a year now, I guess it's safe to say I put things off a bit

GSMguy
10/15/2008, 05:07 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13552467#post13552467 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GSMguy
Asm seems to be out of buisness and euro reef will be next these latest chinese skimmers work better at half the price

Edit, this is my bad, i dont know if they are out of service.

someone had posted this link on another site citing them being out of business turns out that was never there website, still based on their complete lack of new product development and high prices for what you get its really only a matter of time
http://www.asmskimmer.com/

Aynesa
10/15/2008, 05:08 PM
I got a Euro REef RS 135 used off my local Craigslist for 200 bucks. Don't forget to check Craigslist. Reefcentral also has a good place to advertise equipment that you want/need or people have for sale. Ebay is also stil pretty good, even though they've gone downhill with the new pricing. Getting used meant I got to skip the breaking in period, cause in this case her tank was nearly identical to mine;)

Honestly, if I were you, I think you've done your research. You've been told the good brands by a bunch of people. Let me put in my voice from experience-- I had a Seaclone, Prism, Jackson Aquatics and Euro Reef. IT'S WORTH THE EXTRA MONEY TO GET SOMETHING HIGH QUALITY!!! ;) I learned the hard way after trying to skrimp for so long, the two places NOT to get by are the Skimmer and the Lighting. If it's a question of 50 bucks and higher quality, go with the higher quality. Now the only question is to set out and find something good and order it so your tank can get pretty again :)

Seriously, get the best protien skimmer you can possibly afford, even if that means putting off the purchase till the next paycheck. It'll be worth it in the longrun. I bought 3 skimmers to put off paying the big money for a good one. I was SO glad I got lucky with this Craigslist post. :D I love my new skimmer and sing EuroReefs praises. Now I know if I had to pay 500 for a new Euroreef, I would before buying a crappy one. That's me though ;)

GSMguy
10/15/2008, 05:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13552755#post13552755 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by HermitCrabFan
euro reefs do look nice, but quite a price tag I see on them, I'd like to stay in a 350 or under price range.

those msx skimmers, is there a place other than marinesolutions to buy them? the smallest they have is the 200, which for 280 doesn't look bad, I don't really understand what they mean about recharging them every year, guess the mesh wheel wears out or something? they also seem to be in sump only, I wanted to get one that could be used in or out of sump.

skimmer shopping is enough to drive someone crazy it seems

in sump if I get a leak means no big mess, but means under stand where height could be an issue, the msx ones don't seem super tall though

you only recharge the mesh option not the pinwheel they send you both so you can choose.

you can get the octo extreme that is pretty much the same skimmer from a variety of stores.

tall skimmers are out anyway, its all about short and fat.

HermitCrabFan
10/15/2008, 05:24 PM
sounds like you found a great deal on your skimmer, I understand about not skimping too much, is why I upped my budget from the 150 range to like 350. but to go to like 500, hmm that's a lot more money

took me a long time to decide lighting too, but I am pretty happy with that so far

and to gsmguy I didn't see the octo extremes, I only saw the ones on bulkreefsupply. I'll have to hunt on the web and see who's selling those

and thanks for all the input you've all been giving, it's much appreciated

Aynesa
10/15/2008, 05:27 PM
350 is fine. I believe that's what a new euroreef was running on ebay when I went searching. You can get a nice skimmer for around that, especially if you're willing to consider used.

I like good deals ;)

I'll poke around and see if I can find you one too.

Aynesa
10/15/2008, 05:32 PM
Check your PMs HermitCrab :)

HermitCrabFan
10/15/2008, 05:47 PM
first pm's I ever got, had to look around where to check em :)

thanks for all of those, I'll check them all out

I see the 135 on the euro reef site is 350

they also have a sale going on for "blemished" model 250 for $365 that's a couple hundred cheaper than normal, just get a reduced warranty it looks like.

never bought off ebay before, but those are some nice prices, hard to pass up

Aynesa
10/15/2008, 05:51 PM
I've bought off Ebay quite a bit. I've had the occasional problems, but they are quite rare. Make sure the sellers feedback is good, pay in some traceable way (paypal is by far the best and easiest) and you'll be fine.

See? You CAN afford a really good skimmer on that budget! You just need a shopaholic like me to help you out. ;)

Do let me know what you end up getting.

HermitCrabFan
10/15/2008, 06:18 PM
I should keep your yahoo handy, never know I'll be in need of a shopaholic :)

checked craigslist, not much for sale around my area

so it'll be between ebay or some online site

I guess I'll just do in sump and make sure the height of it fits under my stand, that should help limit my choices a bit

Aynesa
10/15/2008, 06:24 PM
Feel free to IM me anytime, that's why those handles are in my signature. I'm good at finding those bargains :)

Deciding to do it in sump does help limit. If I were you, I'd pounce on that used Euro Reef I sent you :) I'm sure glad I did!

Aynesa
10/17/2008, 03:45 PM
Any updates Hermitcrab?