PDA

View Full Version : hyposalinity treatment

bugbdon
10/06/2008, 03:42 PM
i know this question has been answered on this thread before...but the search function is not working and i cannot find the right thread.

when doing a hyposalinity treatment:
a. how low do you drop the salinity and how fast can you drop it?
b. how long do you keep it that low?
c. how fast do you raise the salinity back up?
d. how long do you keep the fish in QT once treatment has ended?
e. and lastly does anyone have a caculation for this so i don't have to spend all day adding water to the QT and measuring salinity? i know i've seen it on here, but again i can't find it.

i really appreciate this everyone!
-b

dones20
10/06/2008, 04:09 PM
a. the safest lowest slainity is 1.012 and maybe 1.010 but try 1.012 first, as far as how fast to drop i would recommend 1/2 a point every 1or2 days depending on fishes reactions so if salinity is 1.023 drop it in between 1.023 and 1.022 and do so until you reach desired salinity
b. i would say for about 2- 3 weeks or until visible signs are gone and then a week after that to ensure they dont rienfect the fish
c. same as when you dropped it just this time going back up.
d. refer to b
e. not sure what you mean by calculation
IF IT WERE ME I WOULD NOT DO HYPO AT THIS OW OF SALINITY PAST 3 WEEKS OR SO AS LOW SALITNITY HAS THE TENDENCY TO CREATE SOME INFECTIONS INTERNALEY ON SOME MORE SENSITIVE SPECIMENS I WOULD NOT EVEN BOTHER WITH HYPO I WOULD TREAT COPPER SAFE AS A PREVENTITVE IN QT AND I HAVE BEEN DOING SO FOR 10+ YRS NOW AND CURRENTLY HAVE A RED SEA REGAL ANGELFISH AND A JUVIENILE FLAG FIN ANGELFISH AND A JUVENILE POMA ANGELFISH AND A ARE WELL AND HAVE BEEN IN QT WITH COPPER SAFE FOR OVER 1 MONTH CONTINUOSLY BEING TREATED WITH NO ILL AFFECTS JMO

bugbdon
10/06/2008, 04:39 PM
thanks for the input.
i remember reading a thread about hyposalinity and the auther outlined how much DI water to add to a half full 10gallon tank to achieve the desired salinity. that's what i meant my calculation.... sorry if i wasn't clear.