PDA

View Full Version : Importation of Tropical Marines

exotic_tropics
10/06/2008, 10:08 PM
Hello

I have the ambition to build and run a quarantine facility for marine fish and invertebrates. Simple enough
Anyway I have read the IHS back to front and I am questioning bio security about some of the criteria regarding the structural requirements of the building. When I get all of that cleared up this is the plan.

I want to have up to 30 tanks and I have some issues on how I want to set this up. I have two options.

1) To run each tank individually. This would be done with a HOB skimmer, this of course has positives and negatives such as.
Negatives: Running costs, Time consuming, start up costs, less water volume per tank.
Positives: disease control and water control i.e. nitrates and what not.

2) to run the tanks on a 4 tank system. Meaning 4 tanks run into one sump, this again has positives and negatives
Negatives: shared water, power cut = mess, disease control
Positives: more water volume per system, Cheaper to run and put together and less time consuming on water changes/testing.

I want to go with number two but I am open to suggestions and opinions.

Now when it comes to equipment choice. I want to use top quality equipment. Can anyone suggest great skimmers. here in NZ we have a poor selection. So brand names would be great.

Thanks

loosecannon
10/15/2008, 06:08 AM
Octopus.

porthios
10/15/2008, 10:57 AM
there are some interesting problems in your idea. tagging along for the discussion.

i guess i'd be inclined to go with #1 but skip the skimmers. if your physical layout allows, plumb all the tanks to a common drain facilitating quick and easy water changes. manage nutrients through dilution. it'll cost more in salt and water prep but you'd save skimmer and power costs. you'd also lose a bit of the oxygenation skimming provides but there are other ways to deal with that as well.

just an idea..

greenbean36191
10/16/2008, 07:48 AM
I would go with #2 with UV sterilizers isolating each tank.

second_decimal
10/16/2008, 11:18 AM
i am somewhat confused about your reasoning (although i am sure because i dont have enough information) you are setting up a quarantine facility, it must be to hold imported livestock to sell locally. that means you are an lfs owner. if it was for export, you dont quarantine. the stress of shipping will bring doa quarantine or not. in regards to quarantine, in your location, i would use natural seawater. look at currents around NZ and go up current from wherever your location is. natural seawater is best and there is no substitute. connect all the tanks and let natural seawater do the rest. no skimmers, no filters etc etc. sounds easy enough.

BurntOutReefer
10/16/2008, 05:09 PM
Go with #2 and look at a RK2 skimmer (the big ones) and look at running 4~5 UV's.......thats what we have.

exotic_tropics
10/17/2008, 06:55 AM
This is what I am thinking...

All the tanks are hocked up two one large sump with two BIG skimmers and a series of UVS so the water will be uvd before returning back to the tanks. This is the most financialy econonmical range that it is looking like.