PDA

View Full Version : Fan Recommendation

FranktheTankTx
10/06/2008, 10:23 PM
I'm running an open top 54g corner with a 250w MH pendant. I'm looking for some ideas/recommendations on a fan.

I have a ceiling fan in the room just a few feet away from the DT - which should help keep the room temp comfortable. I thought I would get a fan for under the stand to blow on the sump to help with temp control.

What's a good solid fan that runs quiet? Clip on or mount - any ideas for my set up?

Jefe12234
10/07/2008, 08:34 AM
Well on my homemade stand for my 54g corner I cut out two holes for 120mm fans. I left them off recently because the holes alone seem to allow enough passive ventilation to remove humidity. I will add one if I start to see any rust or mold. If you want a fan for evap/temp control, then I'd probably get one that can rotate on it's mount so that you can control the amount of evap by aiming the fan towards or away from the water. I can't name a specific one, but you'll probably want one with an adjustable speed so that you can run it on low which should be quiet and provide plenty of air movement for a small sump.

AZDesertRat
10/07/2008, 11:14 AM
WalMart may still have some of the 7" 2 speed clip on fans on closeout for $5 or so. Lots of us use these and you should be able to get a couple of seasons out of one before replacing it. They actually work great! I keep a couple around for emergencies and have one over my sump on a Ranco controller as a backup to my canopy fans and chiller in case they fail. Never happend so far but better safe than sorry.

burton14e7
10/07/2008, 11:15 AM
I'm using 4-fan units from Azoo and they work well for me.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w119/burton14e7/101_0609.jpg

HaroldT
10/07/2008, 11:19 AM
I have seen those Azoo fans and I like them. Nice ones.

BigJay
10/07/2008, 12:59 PM
The azoo fans are nice, you can set them to blow over your tank in between the lights and the surface of your water.

I have my fan set on the aquacontroller, it comes on anytime the temp goes over 79.5 degrees.

FranktheTankTx
10/07/2008, 08:32 PM
Due to an overflow box, HOB refugium, and return pvc line - I don't have 8" of aquarium space to clip one of those Azoo fans on my DT.

However, what is the measurement of the gap between the fan and the brace rim of the tank? I could clip it on both sides of my return pvc and it sits just above it. 1 3/4" would sit right over my return pvc line. Is there that much space?