PDA

View Full Version : Acclimating to new bulbs?

Reefer07
10/07/2008, 11:47 AM
Do I have to acclimate my tank to new bulbs. I have a current sundial fixture (30") for my 29 gallon tank. I had the stock bulbs in it but this week my Geissman's should be in. I am wondering if I have to acclimate the tank to the new bulbs as they will probably be a little more intense. Right now I have 2 daylights and 2 actinics. With the geissman's I am running 2 actinic +, and aquablue and a midday. I keep LPS, zoos, and mushrooms and a few SPS. Hopefully more soon.

Thanks,
Zac

skippy2
10/07/2008, 12:29 PM
Everytime I get new mh bulbs, I only run the lights for maybe 2 hrs. for a couple of days, 4 the next, 5 a couple of days after that. It takes me avout a week and 1/2 to get to the full 8 hrs. When I replaced the bulbs the very first time, I didn't think to acclimate them to the tank. I was scrubbing green algae off the tank walls forever.

Reefer07
10/07/2008, 01:19 PM
Hmmm...I will prolly just pull back my light cycle a bit for a few days. I was thinking egg crate or something but this sounds like a good idea too.

crawlerman
10/07/2008, 01:32 PM
use the egg crate with three layers of nylon screen. Take one layer of screen off every four days. I have heard not to cut back on the amount of time you run your lights.

Reefer07
10/08/2008, 08:33 AM
I assume nylon screen can be found at home depot too?