PDA

View Full Version : canister filter for fowlr?

iverson387
10/07/2008, 01:00 PM
Im converting a freshwater 72 gallon tank to a fowlr tank. Can i run this tank with just live rock and live sand. I dont want to spend a large amount of money on this and im trying to use things i already have. Will i be ok with a good amount of flow, 75 lbs live rocks, and 100 lbs of sand. Im not sure about a protein skimmer as my cousin has a 4 yr old tank with no skimmer with no problems.

BigJay
10/07/2008, 01:04 PM
Is there any way you can fit a protein skimmer into your setup too?

Even a hang-on model would work out. They can remove more dissolved crud from your water and allow you to keep more fish than you could with a canister filter alone.

iverson387
10/07/2008, 01:05 PM
If this is insufficient i may be able to plumb this tank together with my reef tank and run them on the same sump/skimmer. The tanks are basicallly back to back with a wall seperating them. If i drill 2 holes in the back of the newly setup tank and let them dump into the top of the reef tank will this work. Then i can just put the return line into the new tank. This way the water will flow from the new tank to the reef tank then to the sump then be pumped back into the new tank.

BigJay
10/07/2008, 01:17 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13501423#post13501423 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by iverson387
If this is insufficient i may be able to plumb this tank together with my reef tank and run them on the same sump/skimmer. The tanks are basicallly back to back with a wall seperating them. If i drill 2 holes in the back of the newly setup tank and let them dump into the top of the reef tank will this work. Then i can just put the return line into the new tank. This way the water will flow from the new tank to the reef tank then to the sump then be pumped back into the new tank.

A shared sump is a good idea, I know a few people that do this. It'll make water changes more simple since you can remove and add water to the shared sump. It also simplifies the ATO a bit since the two tanks can share one.

I would drain the new tank into the shared sump along with the other, that way the water gets filtered by macroalgae/chaeto and the skimmer before pumping it back into to either tank. I hope your sump is large enough to accomodate two aquariums, since in a power outage two pumps will be shut off and both aquariums will drain into the sump.