PDA

View Full Version : can a tanke be over skimmed?

drd
10/07/2008, 01:34 PM
I am in the process of aquring a 270/300 gal aquarium that runs on the berlin method and I was thinking of using a bigger protein skimmer then what the tank size is. is this a good idea?

microbubbles
10/07/2008, 03:07 PM
at that size, you can pretty much use any skimmer on the market- a la BubbleKing 300 ext, ATB XL. anyone else chime in if you disagree

lvpd186
10/07/2008, 05:27 PM
I think there is a ton of different opinions on if a tank can be over-skimmed. IMO I don't think you can over skim. You can, however, put a grossly over-sized skimmer on a tank that probably will not work as well, or at least as efficiently, as a properly sized one. I would say to shoot for something that is slightly over-sized, read a ton of reviews and then decide. BTW I also believe that most skimmer companies over-rate their skimmers so it's very important to read up on them.

SlowCobra
10/07/2008, 05:32 PM
Yes it is possible to over-skim depending on what you plan to keep. Putting an extremely efficient skimmer on a tank that is mostly softies and LPS will remove many of the nutrients from the water that they need to survive. Now if you are solely SPS then no you can't really over-skim.