PDA

View Full Version : Need a small, inconspicuous HOB skimmer

nellis
10/07/2008, 06:09 PM
I'm putting together a small rimless tank (24x12x18) and would like to skim, but more important to me is not ruining the aesthetics of the rimless glass. I've seen a few small HOB skimmers, but all seem to have the pumps in the tank, rather than in the skimmer itself. Is there even such thing as an unobtrusive HOB skimmer that has the pump in the skimmer body?

One other consideration I had was the possibility of running an Aquaclear fuge mod (maybe a 70) and piggybacking a hob skimmer onto the filter... Don't know whether this would be possible or not though.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

-Nate

GSMguy
10/07/2008, 09:12 PM
Deltec MCE600 or 300

crashrat
10/08/2008, 06:20 AM
There really isn't such a thing as inconspicuous HOB skimmer, some are less inconspicuous as others. There are quite a few that don't have the pump in the tank, like the Deltec and Octopus. If you want something for that small of a tank look into the Octopus BH1000 or BF100F for $150. They will both get the job done although the pump in the 100F has had some problems.

lizardarm
10/08/2008, 07:24 AM
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37175
You might try this thread. These two skimmers will be overkill for the size aquarium you're talking about. Also, I do believe that ReefOctopus does make a HOT skimmer that has the pump internal to the skimmer. IMO/E a HOT skimmer with the pump on the outside is risky as there is always the possibility of a seal failure which can lead to a flooded floor.

crashrat
10/08/2008, 07:26 AM
One more HOB is the C&C , but I'm not sure if they are still in business.

nellis
10/08/2008, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the replies all... I'll look into the mentioned skimmers and update.