PDA

View Full Version : Does weather outside the home affect protein skimmer efficiency?

fernandokng
10/07/2008, 06:11 PM
My euroreef rs 135 skimmer has dropped to 13lpm from 10lpm for the last 2 months, and I'm wondering if the drop in weather and humidity (summer to fall) will impact the effiiciency of the skimmer?

Your expert comments are welcomed. Thanks

SPS20
10/08/2008, 09:06 AM
Changes in barometric pressure could affect the way your skimmer functions, though I don't think humidity would have an impact.

I don't know of any studies that have been performed regarding barometric pressure and skimming efficiency, but at least on paper, air pressure should have some effect on bubble size, which would in turn affect efficiency.

It should be noted, however, that the effect may be so minimal as to be impossible to measure. It depends on your skimmer's design. I have noticed that at least one downdraft skimmer (my ETSS 800), in particular, seems to lose its foam head when a storm is approaching, for instance.

This would be an interesting subject for someone with more time and resources than myself to test out. I'd be interested to see the results.