PDA

View Full Version : Quiet One pumps

nivram
10/07/2008, 08:24 PM
My Quiet One 3000 pump is starting to make noises. I purchased it used so I have no idea how old it is. But I am curious if others have had issues with their quiet one pumps?

I'd like to get a back up pump just in case this one turns out to be bad. If these are problematic i'll avoid buying a second one.

TIA

billsreef
10/07/2008, 09:37 PM
They are problematic. I wouldn't buy another one.

FranktheTankTx
10/07/2008, 09:45 PM
I've owned several with out one single problem. I own 3 at the moment.

billsreef
10/07/2008, 10:11 PM
I've tossed more than that in garbage pail ;) Highest rate of failure of any line of pumps I've ever used, on par with the old Rios.

FranktheTankTx
10/07/2008, 10:20 PM
User problem? Teasing - I don't know what to say... I'm sold on them. Never had a problem.

billsreef
10/07/2008, 10:24 PM
I wish you luck with yours.

spsgtr
10/08/2008, 01:48 AM
these pumps have trouble starting at times and it is usually due to calcium buildup on the impellar shaft

FranktheTankTx
10/08/2008, 07:03 AM
Let me add that I do clean ALL my pumps regularly. For example - I do not like those coraline encrusted Koralias - so I keep mine clean like new.

I do the same with the Quiet Ones.

AZDesertRat
10/08/2008, 08:02 AM
I have had two literally go up in flames, a 4000 and a 1200. Never again, my system is too valuable. Try Ocean Runners or Eheims if you want a quality, efficient and quiet pump and Mags if you need supplemental heat and don't mind noise.

EnderG60
10/08/2008, 08:28 AM
4000's and larger are great pumps, anything smaller is crap.

billsreef
10/08/2008, 08:46 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13506638#post13506638 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by EnderG60
4000's and larger are great pumps, anything smaller is crap.

Even they die all to readily.

FranktheTankTx
10/08/2008, 11:48 AM
This is ridiculous - I can handle someone saying "Hey, I've owned a couple and I had problems with them." But to come on here and basically say they are crap - you're misleading the original poster.

I don't give a damn whether he buys one or not - I don't get a commission off of sales. However, there are 2 posters on here saying they've had trouble with them. My Ford truck has cost me $1400 in repairs the last 45 days - doesn't mean Ford is the worst vehicle ever developed.

Anything mechanical - get ready because it will fail. I assure you though - they are good pumps. But a Mag, Quiet One, Maxi Jet - they all fail.

Sorry for the bad luck - but you guys are jumping to extreme conclusions. Let me jump to extremes - they are the best pump ever built in the world because I have owned 5 with out one single problem.

Shadowramy
10/08/2008, 11:54 AM
I have used them for years. Had one go bad because I snapped the ceramic shaft, it was still under warrenty and Rainbow sent me a new one.

AZDesertRat
10/08/2008, 12:14 PM
Two Quiet Ones failing catastrophically each one with only about 1 years normal usage is junk to me. The 4000 electrified my tank raising the temperature enough to make the 1/4HP chiller run non stop for two days before I discovered the problem. The 1200 sprung a leak through the windings of the motor and shot water all over underneath my stand getting electrical and other components wet. Again JUNK. I thought they were OK at first too but never again and I will try to steer others away. They are a poor design and have hundreds of users here on RC complaining about restart problems, excessive noise, plugging up with calcium etc. Do a few searches and you will see yourself.

billsreef
10/08/2008, 12:43 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13507738#post13507738 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by FranktheTankTx
This is ridiculous - I can handle someone saying "Hey, I've owned a couple and I had problems with them." But to come on here and basically say they are crap - you're misleading the original poster.

I've used quite a few of them (far more than a couple), all died within less than 2 years, some less than a year. All with proper maintenance. I've also used quite a few other brand pumps for comparison.

jefathome
10/08/2008, 12:50 PM
I've had quite a few pumps and the Quiet-one stopped working faster than any of the others.

FranktheTankTx
10/08/2008, 12:56 PM
Again - small sample. I've owned 6 AGA glass tanks. 2 have cracked on me. That's 33%... but I'm not about to say that AGA tanks are worthless. I'd need to own 100 before I could even come close to a decent conclusion.

Your opinion is that Quiet One pumps suck... fair enough. We all form opinions based on our experience. The truth is, your experience is probably fairly limited with Quiet One pumps (you probably disagree). I've owned as many as you - and never had a problem. What can we say? Who's right? Do they suck because you had a problem or are they great because I didn't?

I'd suggest people state their experience - but again posting on a board and hearing 2 people out of thousands of Quiet One users is probably not a good sample. But it is what we have to work with.

Oh well.

DodgeDude99
10/08/2008, 01:34 PM
i love my Quiet One pump, so far it has been the best thing I have bought since I got into reefs.

BTW mine has been churning water since 1995.

Now a Magdrive or a Rio, I wouldnt use one if it was given to me,
absolute crap.

billsreef
10/08/2008, 01:35 PM
Frank, I'm really glad you haven't had trouble with yours. I wouldn't wish pump trouble on anyone. In my case, I've had 8 little giant pumps (including the two largest) that I brought 2 years ago. All 8 failed in under 2 years, with 5 of them failing in less than a year. That's a 100% failure rate. I've also used numerous Supreme's, Ehiems, and a few other brands, with nothing worse than an occasional broken shaft that is easily replaced. I did have one Supreme fail after 3 years, but that one also got abused when I forgot to take inside from a pond one winter, so that was my fault.

benjabba
10/08/2008, 01:37 PM
I have a Quiet One feeding my skimmer and when I turn it off to feed I always have a hard time getting it to restart. This is the first one I have owned and will never purchase another one. I should add that this pump was purchased new and is now 3 months old. JME

JRoweNole
10/08/2008, 02:04 PM
During the last 8 years that I have had my 92 galon reef, I have used all types of pumps.

The 2 Quiet One pumps I purchased within the last year are the least dependable pumps I have ever owned (including RIO pumps, MAG pumps, Sedra, Eheim, etc.).

herostar
10/08/2008, 03:07 PM
I like my Quiet One 2200. I've been using it for about 16 months with no problems, and it's quiet!

joesfiddy
10/08/2008, 04:46 PM
i have 2 quiet one pumps and they work with no probs

notenoughtanks
10/08/2008, 05:52 PM
I could go as far to say that they are junk, but like with any mass-produced product they are some bad ones. I had a 3000 for a year or so and it went kaput. Still works just have to plug and unplug it a million times. The likely cause or this (and many of your problems) was the calcium buildup within the pump. Calcium builds up in the impeller well, on the bottom of the impeller and on the ceramic shaft. I noticed this on my new 3000 after just a couple months. This buildup makes the pump not restart, which leads to opening the housing and discovering the calcium.

It's all about PM, preventative maintanence, not post mortem :)

Also I should note that most quiet ones (and sicces) are loud when new or cleaned. They make a rattley noise that quiets down after a couple days.

I can't get past the fact that you get 700gph at 38 watts from a 40 dollar pump, no one else can touch that...

biger
10/08/2008, 06:14 PM
They should b called noisy one pumps!

AZDesertRat
10/08/2008, 06:15 PM
You don't their GPH rates are slightly inflated. Try the Ocean Runner 2500 a true 650 GPH at 38 watts and just as inexpensive, plus quieter and runs much cooler.

nivram
10/09/2008, 03:35 PM
Thanks for all your responses. My intention wasn't to start a war. But more so looking for known problems. I have mine throttled down a pretty good amount. But what kind of worried me is that since i've heard the rattling noise my DT temp has gone up one degree. I need to check my temp probe for accuracy, but its only a month old.

Regardless, I still need to get a back up pump just in case this one dies on me at a time when no store is open or has what I need.

AZDesertRat
10/09/2008, 03:50 PM
I know the two I had, a 1200 and a 4000 ran so hot I could not comfortably lay my hand on them. They were overly hot in comparison to other pumps I have and had. The only one that came close to the heat generated by them was a Mag 2 on my calcium reactor which eventually got replaced with the QO1200 which has now been replaced with a Hydor Seltz L20. The Hydor is too new to evaluate yet but I hope it works better than the last two pumps.