PDA

View Full Version : T5 Light help

whyamisofly
10/07/2008, 09:13 PM
I know there are a lot of threads on this topic, and I will admit that I did an extensive search, but I am to the point where I will be buying, so I want to make sure everything is in order before I click the "submit" button.

60g tank currently has 3-96w PC's.......gotta go!!!

I will be doing zoanthids, mushrooms, an anemone, and a colony of bright pink birdsnest (<-------the whole reason for changing lights, its a MUST!).

In all honesty, that is the only LPS or SPS that I have actually liked and plan to keep.

SO, I am thinking 4 - t5/ho lamps should suffice???

2 of these -

2x54W T5/HO Fluorescent Ballast - Advance

"This ballast is designed to run 2 54W T5/HO lamps, but will also run 2 55 watt or 2 36 watt compact flourescent lamps.

Dimensions: 16.25"x1.25"x1" (LxWxH)

Features:
* Color-coded, poke-in connectors: Enhances wiring accuracy and ease of assembly.
* Programmed rapid start technology: Provides extended lamp life in frequent starting applications.
* Compact size:Won't take up too much room."

4 of these

T5 Moisture Resistant Endcap -Pair w/ end cap stand off

"* Vossloh Schwabe German 2 piece moisture resistant endcaps.
* Will fit T5 HO and NO lamps.
* Rubber o-ring to help protect socket from humidity and moisture from your aquarium.
* Sold in Pairs.
* The 2 piece design allows easy bulb replacement, as once the base is screwed into place, you only have to unscrew the the ring around the lamp to remove the bulb. "

4 of these

36" Single Lamp Parabolic T5 Reflector

"*Integrated lamp clips clip reflector directly to lamp
* Single lamp reflector for 36" T5 lamps.
* Dimensions: 31" x 2" x 1""

Now, other than bulbs, what else do I need?
Any other suggestions?? I found all this on hellolights.com

$228.50 for the 4 bulb shipped

nikon187
10/08/2008, 01:40 AM
also look into reefgeek.com they have many retro fit T5 with the best reflectors out there. They also have very high output T5 ( overdriving the bulbs with an icecap)

whyamisofly
10/08/2008, 11:46 AM
do you believe that reefgeek offers better DIY t5's than hellolights?? Hellolights are 54w HO (or so they say)