PDA

View Full Version : pretty sure my little giant 3 just seized...

areze
10/07/2008, 09:49 PM
how hot are these things supposed to run? I got 2 used with my tank 3 months ago. 1 is running the return to the tank, and the other was running at maybe 350gph into my fuge, and tonight I opened it up to circulate my new skimmer as well.

about an hour later I find it totally off and roughly the temperature of the sun. Id guesstimate 250-300degrees, enough that if you touch for more than a fraction of a second, youd get burned. needless to say I unplugged it.

I touched the other one, thats still running and its gotta be close to the same temp...

now I am in a predicament, first, Im worried my return pump is next to seize. and second I need to replace this one that died and Im a bit leery to get another little giant now... seems like they are very hot, on the other hand the setup is now designed for their exact dimensions... using a different pump would be extremely difficult.

what happened to my pump? why did it die? why are they running so hot?

barjam
10/07/2008, 10:28 PM
Calcium buildup on the impeller? I have to clean my pumps with vinegar once a year or so.

areze
10/07/2008, 10:37 PM
tomorrow Ill take it apart and check for that.

I dont get the coincidence that it siezed when I unrestricted the flow... kinda strange. we'll see though

whatcaneyedo
10/08/2008, 12:36 AM
Have you been lubricating it? Or better yet, was the previous owner lubricating it? They need to be lubricated twice a year according to their owners manuals. http://www.lgpc.com/ProductFiles/OM/993610.pdf

turbonut
10/08/2008, 04:04 AM
yep thats why it seized i bet no one oiled the pump those pumps are to be lubricated every six months

areze
10/08/2008, 09:11 AM
I did not, but I believe the previous owner told me he just had. so it SHOULD be good.

me lacking 20w oil sitting around I used a little of whatever I had laying around last night, maybe that was a big mistake, but we'll see.

areze
10/08/2008, 11:41 AM
ok, I got the pump out.

it had some brown gunk in it, but nothing solid that would stop it from spinning if that makes sense.

I had to leave the impellor housing connected, poor design on my part, but it is not removable lol.

so I took the pump off of it and removed. cleaned, put the impellor and shaft in and plugged it in. it vibrated but no movement. so I spin the impellor, kind thinks about it... then it catches and its off to the races.

so the pump works, but it wont start itself spinning, fixable? Ive considered getting it started, then assembling it while its running, but this isnt a long term solution, if power goes out, Im boned again.

so what do I do?

whatcaneyedo
10/08/2008, 12:16 PM
Get some SAE 20 oil for it and see if that helps. 3-IN-ONE (same company that makes WD40) has SAE 20 in little hobby size 88.7 ml bottles.

Its always a good idea to have a spare pump sitting in storage just incase one of yours dies so that you dont have to go without for a few days.

You could also get one of those computer battery backups. That way if the power goes out you have an hour or so before the pump stops.

areze
10/08/2008, 12:59 PM
yeah, wish I had a backup now... well I called their tech support, basicly looks like the extra speed on the pump when I unrestricted it was the last straw on a weak motor. they are saying if I did hand start it, it probably would not hold the rpms anyway. nor does it have the torque to get it going to begin with.

new(to me) euroreef RC500 and no way to pump water to it :( fuge is out of order too.