PDA

View Full Version : What happens if you overdose Amino Acids?

spleify
10/07/2008, 11:40 PM
I have heard different things on dosing to much AA's. What I have heard most is that the corals will get really dark. Is this true? Is this a bad thing?
I wouldn't mind my corals being darker, but not if it is bad for them.

BTW I am dosing AA's but at a very light dosage, I am just curious about this.

Thanks

Spleify

jc16
10/07/2008, 11:50 PM
i believe there will be an algae bloom so watch for that

tmantaylor18
10/08/2008, 01:03 AM
Unless you are dumping a bunch in at a time I doubt you have much to worry about. I run an oversized skimmer and feed a lot plus dose AA's a lot. I have no issues with algae. If you aren't running a low nutrient system then you will notice a gain in algae so just cut back. I have never heard of overdosing them though. I use a lot more than more people w/great results.

spleify
10/08/2008, 08:41 AM
Interesting. Are you're corals darker than they may normally be?

photobret
10/08/2008, 09:00 AM
I have noticed a darkening of tissue when I dose too much. After changing over to a higher quality AA I OD'd the tank. At the end of the day, too much of a good thing could cause problems, it may start with tissue darkening but were does it go from there? I am not going to risk thousands of dollars of corals to find out. Dose more and if you notice a darkening of tissue, dose a little less till you find a sweet spot. Increase dosage slowly, your colors should pop after a while.

takayan
10/08/2008, 09:19 AM
When I overdosed, I got algae bloom. I did not see any symptom for darkening tissue. i am using ZEO AA.

spleify
10/08/2008, 01:45 PM
Yeah I am using Zeovit also.

I am not necessarilly going to try this I was just curious about it.

Thanks

Spleify