PDA

View Full Version : nano cube what kind?

satjosh
10/08/2008, 04:21 AM
nano cube what kind?
ok soo i have a 60 gal reef tank and now i'm downsizing to a nano

i've been searching on the net for different nano packages

i need to know is it ok getting the packages? and if so which one
aquapod, jbj nanocube, biocube, and any other packages?

or is customizing it better and if so what kind of specs?

i'm going for between 12-20ish gallon

thank you

satjosh
10/08/2008, 06:56 PM
soo what do you guys think?

Agu
10/08/2008, 07:20 PM
I think the all in one tanks are grossly overpriced and usually need to be modified. IMHO buy a basic tank and the correct equipment to go with it.

jcerdena
10/09/2008, 12:13 AM
I have had 2 JBJ nanos for a little over 3 years, and a Biocube for a year. 1 year in, the Biocube has held up much better than the JBJ's did in their first year. I agree with Agu that they can be expensive with all the upgrades or mods you'll need depending on what you want in your tank. I recently had to upgrade my 24 g. JBJ's lighting because the hood had deteriorated and the lights wouldn't turn on. I didn't really mind having to upgrade, but it was $250 that I hadn't planned on spending. Aside from all that the Aquapods I've seen are really nice, if I were to buy another nano it would be an Aquapod or Biocube.

jet fixer
10/09/2008, 02:10 AM
Where you at? I've been thinking of upgrading my 34G solana to a 60-75G
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3111/2744775401_ff3501b21b.jpg
LMK

satjosh
10/09/2008, 01:35 PM
haha new jersey

macman4
10/09/2008, 03:23 PM
Hey jet fixer ,I sure do like that 34G solana. The LFS just got one in. I was all ready to buy the 29G BioCube, but I don't know now:lol:

boodlefish
10/09/2008, 03:34 PM
what are you currently keeping and or planing on keeping, softies or sps.
if you are going with softies the nano cubes are great you can upgrade lighting and keep almost any soft or lps coral. you can find em cheep used too.
i just picked up one in perfect condition for 45$ upgraded the pump to a rio 6hf for another 27or so$ not so bad a deal if you ask me.

satjosh
10/09/2008, 07:19 PM
yeah i'm looking around now that i see the responses i'm thinking maybe customize, but do i dont know where to look for something like that

i mean i know everything already to put the nano tank together only problems is resource haha

oh i'm only keeping softies and about 2 fish (tiny ones) and a shrimp
as for corals, softs....... in general mushrooms, leathers, toadstools polyps like that... i don't want to get crazy sensitive livestock unless i know i'm prepared i've been doing salt now for about 2 yrs soo yeah

soo any ideas where for customizing? or do you guys customize it your selves?
-josh

satjosh
10/09/2008, 07:19 PM
yeah i'm looking around now that i see the responses i'm thinking maybe customize, but do i dont know where to look for something like that

i mean i know everything already to put the nano tank together only problems is resource haha

oh i'm only keeping softies and about 2 fish (tiny ones) and a shrimp
as for corals, softs....... in general mushrooms, leathers, toadstools polyps like that... i don't want to get crazy sensitive livestock unless i know i'm prepared i've been doing salt now for about 2 yrs soo yeah

soo any ideas where for customizing? or do you guys customize it your selves?
-josh

sutec13
10/09/2008, 11:01 PM
i buy replacement nanos from nanotuners.com they come without the hood/lights and put metal halides over them. I get great results, don't trap the heat and can do my own lighting.

Reef-Ski
10/10/2008, 05:03 AM
Check out Finnex

I have had a Red Sea Max, Nano Cube, and now the Finnex. The Finnex has been really well thought out with regards to design. And in my opinion Finnex is one of the best Nano's out right now. Maybe top three with CADD and ELOS in front. But for the money Finnex would be my choice.

satjosh
10/10/2008, 01:29 PM
WOW I LOVE THE FINNEX AND IS THIS BETTER THEN THE OTHER THREE (AQUAPOD, BIOCUBE, JBJ NANO) IT IS REALLY NICE the price isn't that bad.....

i'm looking to the refugium set one??

which one is better refugium or wet/dry back??

i'm think refugium right cause a wet/dry would be nothing but a sump really and yes a refugium is a sump too but the word refugium is associated with LS, LR and algi??

i think i'm getting close to what i want i just need to know now refugium or wet/dry back??

thank your reef-ski

EWC88
10/10/2008, 05:13 PM
Really off topic but were in NJ do you live? I live in jersey as well.

Finnex are nice! I seen a couple and wished that I never bought my 37g tank..
Even though the tank isn't up yet and I can always go to the finnex lol

satjosh
10/10/2008, 05:54 PM
NJ in blackwood near umm aquarium center??? u know where where r u from

EWC88
10/10/2008, 06:06 PM
Wow your not fall at all! I got to the aquarium center all the time.. I live in washington twp right by washington lake park and the highschool

WHiteout
10/10/2008, 06:53 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13510448#post13510448 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Agu
I think the all in one tanks are grossly overpriced and usually need to be modified. IMHO buy a basic tank and the correct equipment to go with it.

i agree with the over priced problem. DIY. you save a ton of money and with the patience your hard work really pays off. Im proof of that with my 10 gallon DIY w/ false sump.

satjosh
10/10/2008, 06:54 PM
ok i have some mixed review i looked at the finnex which i think i'm prolly going to get, but i read issues with the refugium? on the back about loose parts, and that of the refugium overflowing from the back?

wuts ur say

EWC88 go finnex with me... if we can get this issue fixed.... sigh i thought this would be the "one"

EWC88
10/10/2008, 08:11 PM
I was just reading up on it ans read the same thing on loose parts, can anyone confirm this?

satjosh were you getting your finnex from if you go with it?

2_zoa
10/10/2008, 08:39 PM
my 2 cents

I have the 29g bio cube and I much rather would have gone with building my own nano system out of two tanks. Just my opinion tho. I just can't seem to get the bio cube where i want it. (clear water, extra flow that is hidden, and a good skimmer that doesn't stick out the top)

satjosh
10/11/2008, 01:03 PM
i dont know yet where to get the finnex from?

i've been asking LFS, but all i got was solana, aquapod, biocube, and something else i forgot

i contacted
Aquarium center =solana, aquapod
JB tropical= biocube
that fish place=... i forgot..
but no finnex i'm going to keep looking is that store open yet the one by rt 73, or 71 umm the one with vandalism?

yeah i think that'll be our best bet if not internet it is... i dont doing online though b/c its a tank.. you know

you know any other Store? EWC88 around us?

EWC88
10/11/2008, 02:38 PM
Around us no, I was thinking about calling The Hidden Reef up in Levittown Pa, its about 35-40 mins away, but a AWESOME store! My father ownes a store up there thats how I know about them. I'll give them a call and see if they got and how much and if not if they can order, there usually good with satisfying the customer.

satjosh
10/11/2008, 03:18 PM
cool cool... are you going to get the finnex?

haha maybe we can get a good deal if we both get

i'm thinking of getting the 30 gal with the 150 watt HQI thats alreadt 5 watts a gal which is more then enough and the 250 HQI i think is too much what do u think about getting it together if they have it and about the lighting

EWC88
10/11/2008, 04:01 PM
Yea I was thinking the 150watt, I think the 250 would be little over doing it and might cause the water to get warmer, plus it isn't to deep to need the 250HQI.

I'll call them up and see what they say if they have it or can get it in, and maybe if they can shave some numbers off if they order 2 lol.

I'm highly thinking of the finnex, just want some people to confirm on the loose parts, and the over flowing back like you said

weluvfish54
10/11/2008, 04:19 PM
i got the "19" gallon aqua euro from hamilton its a great setup much taller then the regular nanocubes etc..id go with that or the solana

satjosh
10/11/2008, 09:18 PM
we sude post a new thread to ask for theloose parts, and over flowing

james3370
10/12/2008, 09:35 AM
Have you seen the CADLights (http://www.cadlights.com) tanks?? i have one of their 12 gallon bowfronts & they are some pretty nice tanks & nowhere near as expensive as the finnex.....

CADLights 20 (http://www.cadlights.com/product_info.php?products_id=83) w/ dual 10k & actinics + moonlights is one i have looked into getting to go on my desk if i get this inside desk job i have thought about taking......

plus, the tank is 24"w so there is plenty of "aftermarket" lighting fixture options if you decided to upgrade later on

just a thought.....

satjosh
10/13/2008, 07:36 PM
soo ecw88 did you get to call about the tank

EWC88
10/14/2008, 03:42 PM
PM sent satjosh

Saltcity
10/14/2008, 07:43 PM
I bought a JBJ 24g nanocube from Marinedepot.com complete with tank, hood and lights, pump, filter media and stand, for $271 shipped to my door! Its a nice looking nano and works really well.....I did upgrade the lighting a week after I bought it with a lighting DIY from nanocustoms.com.

satjosh
10/18/2008, 03:31 AM
WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK ABOUT THE FINNEX 30 GAL M-TANK WITH THE PENDANT (150 HQI) THAT SHOULD WORK RIGHT?

Cody Ray
10/18/2008, 04:08 AM
Quite a bit of money IMO. Most people end up changing things with their AIO anyway so why not buy what you want to begin with.

If I were downsizing, I would go with a 20 long, 2 koralia 1 pumps, an Aqua Clear 30 filter with an attachable surface skimmer, a clip on metal halide (Coralife and JBJ both have these at reasonable prices), and whatever livestock you are keeping. If you only plan on having a couple small fish and softies I don't see the need for a protein skimmer. Maybe just change the carbon in the AC on a regular basis due to the softies.

paytonv
10/18/2008, 10:49 AM
I am also upgrading and asked this same questions as to which tank I should get. I have a 24 gallon Aquapod running for past 2 years and after lots of research and suggestions, for the price the best solution for me will be the 34g Solana. Quality tank with all the right equipment. Skimmer in rear chamber and back portion from rear view is clear and could easily be made into a refugium. An auto-topoff could also be installed in place of factory topoff bottle. Very litle modification needs to be done to this tank.

Reef-Ski
10/18/2008, 05:57 PM
People interested in the Finnex 30 gallon M tanks check out the following link.

They are offering free shipping and there is a coupon code for reef central members. I believe it is RC5 and it will save you an additional 5%

http://www.aquacave.com/searchresult.aspx?CategoryID=637

Reef-Ski
10/18/2008, 06:01 PM
As far as the issues with the refugium, I have not had any problems with loose parts or overflowing.

Works really well actually.

To bad you were not closer, I am selling mine. Taking a break from reefing for awhile.

Good luck with your decision.

satjosh
10/18/2008, 09:37 PM
I WAS LOOKING AT IDEAS FOR REFUGIUMING ANOTHER NANO TANK,

BUT THE SOLANA DOESN'T HAVE THAT SPACE DOES IT ARE YOU GOING TO USE THAT CENTER SPACE(MOSTLY TALL THEN WIDE?)

OH AND AGAIN THX FOR THE DISCOUNT COUPON

OK SOO FAR HERE IS MY BUILD

TANK : FINNEX 30 GAL M-TANK
LIGHTING : ?? DONT KNOW YET LEANING TOWARDS STOCK HQI OR SOLONA HQI 150
REFUGIUM : STOCK
PROTEIN SKIMMER : THINKING OF UPGRADING I'VE BEEN HEARING ALOT ABOUT THE UMMM TUNEZ OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT
POWER HEADS : AND 2 POWER HEADS DON'T KNOW YET WHICH ONE

ANYTHING ELSE I COULD USE LET ME KNOW THX ANY IDEAS THX AND MISTAKES THX

Reef-Ski
10/19/2008, 06:07 AM
Sounds like a nice setup satjosh.

Definitely check out the Tunze 9002 Nano DOC skimmer. Very solid skimmer for nano tanks.

You might also want to check out TEK lighting if you are just going to go with T-5's. They make a great light fixture.

Check out Tunze Turbelle NanoStream 6025, or Koralia's for powerheads. The magnetic mounts make them very easy to position.

Also make sure to check out a Auto Top off. These small tanks evaporate lots of water. ATO's will keep water levels stable, which will help to make the skimmer run better.

Good luck