PDA

View Full Version : Equipment - In sump or Outside?

eme
10/08/2008, 10:22 AM
I'm putting together a new tank ( 1st for many years). I have the following equipment:-

AM KR 1000 Calc Reactor ( Daytime only with Ph computer/CO2)
Deltec KM 500 Kalkstirrer (Nightime only - 2B liked to ATO)
Sulphur Nitrate Filter ( Continuous operation)
Phosban Reactor ( Deltec)
Carbon Reactor ( 2 Little Fishes)

peri pumps for both calc reactors

I'm still designing the sump layout with very limited room in the cabinet. Would you have the units 'in sump' or 'outside sump' ?.. any other clever suggestions appreciated.

Freed
10/08/2008, 10:26 AM
calcium and kalk reactors don't go in the sump. At least not the ones I have ever seen.

eme
10/08/2008, 10:33 AM
shock!;) .. many folks do put them in sump.

I did it myself with a kalkstirrer - in the last century:rolleyes:

.. but really interested in what the latest thinking is on safety, best practice and maintainability

herostar
10/08/2008, 03:09 PM
I prefer to have my equipment in the sump just in case of a leak.

eme
10/08/2008, 03:17 PM
herostar - Thanks .. does that apply to everything .. given that some are quite 'volatile' in terms of their effect upon the reef environment ?

VivaBorg
10/08/2008, 03:26 PM
Sure a leak that dumps a whole reactor of Kalk mix in your tank? I would keep the Kalk stirrer and Ca reactor out if you have space.

eme
10/08/2008, 03:38 PM
VivaBorg _ Thanks .. just trying to work out current best practice .. and any special tricks folks have developed ...

and yes, space is a bit of a premium.

Macimage
10/08/2008, 04:32 PM
I run my skimmer, carbon and phospate reactor in my sump. I run my kalk and calcium outside.

Joyce

Daoust
10/08/2008, 10:21 PM
I try to keep anything that can leak / overflow in the sump or a bucket.
Better safe than soggy
D.

eme
10/09/2008, 07:40 AM
Thanks all of you for taking the time to reply .. staying safe & un-soggy (???) appears to be favourite so far. Any other views / novel solutions?

Thanks Again

billdogg
10/09/2008, 07:56 AM
i would avoid putting kalk or Ca reactors in sump - if they do overflow, you will most likely lose your tank. the skimmer, carbon, phosphate reactor can all go in sump - if the skimmer overflows, you would just have no skimming till fixed

Los
10/16/2008, 07:57 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13511708#post13511708 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Daoust
Better safe than soggy
D.

Brilliant!

Back to the thread...

I prefer to keep the calcium reactor and kalk reactor in the sump.
By the nature of the equipment, any leak is likely to be small and I'd much rather that go in my sump than on my floor. Since I travel a lot, a slow leak could be catastrophic if it wasn't inside the system.

Good luck on your new setup.

Padrino
10/16/2008, 08:21 PM
Many people put the Ca reactors in the sump to prevent any possible leaks. remember water damage is the absolute worst in your house. it kills hardwood floor, carpet ect. look at a lot sof your LFS. they probably all put the ca reactor in the sump.. at least they do up here in canada. almost everyone ive seen. I am building a 90 gal reef tank. I too am in your situation running similar equipment except the Kalk and ATO. I only have 46x15.5x 27 high under the stand. I am going to utilize 36 x 15 for the sump, leaving me 10x 15.5" for my iwaki External pump and a 10lb Co2 bottle. I may actually buy the smaller 5lb bottle .. can't make up my mind here. I will probably build a small stand that will sit over the external pump giving more room ... i may need this for the CO2 bottle. I really need to plumb up the return pump and see exactly how cramped it really is. The calcium reactor that i will be getting is the GEO 612 from premium aquatics which has a foot print of 9x10"

Good luck and make sure you post pics of your sump.. i will do the same once im finshed designing it in unigraphics

eme
10/17/2008, 01:23 AM
After the first few posts on this thread I was leaning towards putting all my reactors outside the sump and then I started thinking about it a little more.

Most of the reported incidents involving reactor malfunction occur due to overdosing/increased flow through the outlet tubing themselves , and those will always be in 'sump' so location makes little difference. I accept that filling and other leaks can occur but, on balance, and given the space restrictions that Im working with I'm going to put them all in sump. Not ideal as a discrete remote leak-proof location would be better but I can't do that.

I'd also thought about raising some of the smaller reactors above the sump on some kind of framework but, apart from the advantage of increased water volume decided that would be courting disaster and be less stable.

My return pump will be 'in sump' also. I also intend hanging my CO2 reactor .. I just hope it doesnt fall as my sump will be glass!

As the LH side of the tank butts against a wall . I will leave about 4" to hang plug bars/ controllers etc and use a thin piece of moveable acrylic or similar to protect from salt creep etc. I will post a layout plan when I do it this weekend.

Incidentally, I checked in my local, recently started LFS ELOS Distributor for France (http://www.neoquarium.com) and all his reactors are 'In-Sump' as well.

Again, many thanks, so kind of everyone to take time to answer my questions. I will have many more before this is finished!