PDA

View Full Version : ballast recommendation

blackthunda77
10/08/2008, 11:01 AM
I posted this in the general forum but after i thoght maybe i should have posted it here. so here goes....

Like the title states, which ballasts have you guys had experiences with and which do you reccommend? I have a 55 gal trying to go to a 90 gal, but anyways im running two 250's on seperate ballasts, and they are the magnetic ones, the no names from ebay from when i first go into the hobby about 7 yrs ago. i included a link to this site and i dont know which would better suit my needs.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_AquariumPage~PageAlias~lighting_metal_halide__subindex.html

i would like to go with a single ballast that would run both bulbs, but i want it to be able to run each bulb seperately. If not then i would also consider buying 2 seperate single bulb balasts. i have a rather high electric bill also and i know some of it has to do with the ballasts.

i have some questions too.
are the elctric balasts going ot lower my electric bill if changing from the old magnetic ones?

also do they put out more light?

i just want to make a good investment since it will be rather expensive.

TwistedTiger
10/08/2008, 12:23 PM
Pick the bulb you want to run and then match it with the ballast that is best suited for it. Take the Reeflux bulbs for example, they run best on a coralvue electronic ballast. Not all bulbs and ballasts are a perfect match, IMO pick the bulb first. Also I am a big fan of separate ballasts for each MH. If one goes bad you only have to replace one instead of replacing the 2 in 1. JMO

blackthunda77
10/08/2008, 12:28 PM
hmm point take about the seperate ballasts, as for the bulbs, i never thought about that . guess ihave some more researching to do.

question i forgot to ask, would a dual ballast use up more or less electricity that running two seperate single balasts?

Rysam
10/08/2008, 02:20 PM
i bought the lumatek ballasts from MD, and i am very happy with them. i dont have any numbers or $$ saved, all i can say for sure is that they dont hum like my mag. ballasts, they stay cool enough to touch without sizzling skin, and they reliably fire my bulbs. i am running reeflux12k's and they look good to my eye. i have had them for about 7 or 8 months and no complaints whatsoever.

Rysam
10/08/2008, 02:20 PM
DP

areze
10/08/2008, 02:46 PM
just bought this, I bought one from him in june to replace 1 that was 4 years old and had an ignitor die, the ignitor is 110$, vs a whole new fresh unit for 220...

anyway, best price smoking, great unit. runs 2 250w HQI bulbs. they can be run seperately, but there is only 1 power cord. you'd have to physicly unplug 1 of the pendant wires to disable 1 of the lights.

TwistedTiger
10/08/2008, 04:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13508804#post13508804 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by areze
just bought this, I bought one from him in june to replace 1 that was 4 years old and had an ignitor die, the ignitor is 110$, vs a whole new fresh unit for 220...

anyway, best price smoking, great unit. runs 2 250w HQI bulbs. they can be run seperately, but there is only 1 power cord. you'd have to physicly unplug 1 of the pendant wires to disable 1 of the lights.
Bought what??? From who???

areze
10/08/2008, 05:06 PM
derrr

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=120151610273

links are helpful eh?

grigsy
10/08/2008, 06:52 PM
I have been running Hamilton ballasts for 5 years and have been very happy. Well built IMO. http://www.hamiltontechnology.com/shop/index.php?task=show&cat=Metal+Halide+Replacement+Ballast