PDA

View Full Version : UV filter installation

Chipie
10/08/2008, 11:14 AM
Hi,
I was about to install a UV filter for my tank and i was wondering if it is better to install it in my sump or will it work better if i install it directly in the tank. I'd reather install it in the sump but i'm wondering if it would be as effective in there.
Thanks

scuzy
10/08/2008, 11:31 AM
if you're refering to a inline uv sterilizer i would put the sterilizer on the return from sump to tank. This would be my suggestions. I only had mine for like 2 weeks. :)

Chipie
10/08/2008, 11:48 AM
Yes it's an Aqua Medic 18 watts UV. It can be installed inline. But won't that affect the flow back to the tank? Also, a UV filter has to have low flow to be effective. MY return pump is a Mag 7 and would probably have too much flow for it. Not sure about all of this. It's my very first UV filter.

I have a 265 gph pump that would work perfectly for that, i was thinking of installing the pump in the first part of my sump and connecting the UV to it, then have the output of the UV going back to the sump in the part with my return pump(mag 7).

Anybody have an opinion on this?

Anybody have other ideas about this?

scuzy
10/08/2008, 11:51 AM
you can always branch out of your return like use a WYE to split the return flow and have one part going throught the UV and the other not.

Chipie
10/08/2008, 02:16 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13507768#post13507768 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by scuzy
you can always branch out of your return like use a WYE to split the return flow and have one part going throught the UV and the other not.

Yes i also thought of using a valve and divert some flow(i already have a valve installed) but it would cause a loss of flow to the tank. And my Mag 7 is barely enough as it is. So it's not really an option with this return pump. If i upgrade the pump later, that will be the way to go for sure. Just not for now. :(

SeanT
10/08/2008, 09:27 PM
I recommend installing it on the drain line that feeds your skimmer.

Chipie
10/08/2008, 11:01 PM
LOL i should have mentioned that i have a HOB skimmer. Thanks anyway ;)

Blindf8th
10/11/2008, 09:25 AM
Hi Chipie,

There are a ton of UV Filter threads if you google it, but here are a few thoughts off the top of my head;

Assumptions:
1) Your HOB Skimmer drains directly into your sump
2) You don't have have a filter sock in your sump
3) You don't have a DSB in your sump

But first, let's talk about UV Filtration in general. It's actually a very simple process for removing (referred to as filtering) unwanted free floating microscopic water borne bacteria, parasitic, fungal, viral, algae, and other unfriendly pathogens out of aquarium water by exposing it to high intensity ultra-violet (UV) light. UV light has the ability to effect the function of living cells by altering the structure of the cells nuclear material, or DNA. The end result is the organisms die off, eradicating your aquarium water of these unwanted nuisances.
There are three types of UV sterilizers; tray type, tube type-wet bulb (non-quartz lined), and tube type-dry bulb (quartz lined). Suggested wattages are 4-8 watts for 20-40 gallon aquariums, 20-25 watts for 50-100 gallons, and 40 watts for larger aquariums. Using this method of treating water is quite controversial amongst aquarists. Some consider it to be a waste of money, not all that effective, or suitable for fish-only, but unnatural for reef tanks, while others feel it does have its benefits for either type of system.

The general consensus is that an aquarist that has a well maintained and uncrowded aquarium, as well as follows good quarantine procedures when introducing new specimens to their system, a UV light filter is not necessary. However, I personally use one on my 80 FOWLR tank, because I sleep better at night knowing that I'm killing free-floating nasty bugs 24/7.

A common mistake is when people install their UV Filter in-line before the water goes through some type of mechanical filter first. Here's a "must" rule of thumb and my personal recommendation for your particular installation;

1) Never install a UV Filter in-line "before" your meachanical filtration devices because that will decrease the life of your UV Filter by introducing debris into the filter housing. And, even with a wiper, which I don't think your model has, the added maintenance to maximize the effeciency of the filter goes up big time if you don't feed the filter clean water.

Other Points of Note regarding aquarium UV Filtration:

[list=1]
Most effective when run 24/7
Most effective if the water is clear
Most effective if the bulb is new, or replaced regularly (at least once every 6-8 months)
Most effective if the UV light penetrates less than one inch of water
Effectiveness can be hindered if the water flows past the bulb too quickly. Most effective if the exposure time of the water to the UV light is longer than one second.
The effectiveness of UV light can be hindered if there is light blockage, i.e. a salt encrusted bulb.
It can help to prevent future water borne pathogen reoccurrences, once the initial problem as been completely eradicated from the aquarium.
UV light not only kills unwanted organisms, but beneficial ones as well.
Because it can destroy beneficial microscopic organisms that some reef tank inhabitants may depend on as a food source, UV light should not be run during feeding time.
It only destroys organisms that are free floating IN the water as it passed by the UV light, i.e. it will NOT get rid of an ich infestation that is already ON fish, or cure a bacterial disease fish may have.
Should never be run when treating with any drugs or medications.
UV can also alter the structure of some dissolved chemical compounds.
UV light can be damaging to the human eye, so DO NOT look into the bulb.
Always unplug the unit when working on it to prevent possible shock if it breaks or gets wet.
[/list=1]

In Summary of my recommendation, for your application specifically, if you're goal is to clarify AND sterilize; Use the UV Filter and enjoy the benefits. Mount it near your sump and above it if possible somewhere inside the stand furniture. Use a pump that produces no more than 125gph through the UV Filter (you must take into consideration any back pressure introduced by the height and tube lenghts for your install), taking water from your sump and then drain it right back to your sump.

There is a ton of technical info available for google if you're interested in learning more, but this thread should get you started and hopefully helped answer your questions.

Chipie
10/11/2008, 10:04 AM
Wow, thanks for taking the time to write this. All excellent information there. My HOB skimmer is installed on the back of my tank, not on my sump. Infortunatly, It's too high to fit under the stand and allow me to take off the cup to empty it.
I don't have a dsb in my sump and no i don't have a filter sock but i will get a few of those soon. I the mean time, i'll have to clean the quartz tube to keep it as clean as possible.

I have a pump that i can control the flow so i will slow it down a bit because it's a GenX-1000 and it's 265 gph.
I have installed the UV filter inside my stand and right over my sump like you suggested. I've put a brand new bulb too.

Thanks again for the help, it is appreciated :)