PDA

View Full Version : New To Hobbby I Need Help

Josh Candiotti
10/08/2008, 02:46 PM
I have been in the freshwater fish hobby for 3 years I recently set up a 65 planted tank which failed due to an algae issue. I decided to switch to a saltwater reef tank and need any info on filters, skimmer, refugiums, lighting and all other equiptment involved. I have a fluval 405 now and would prefer to use that if possible. I heard about running a sump or refugium can someone explain how to set it up to me and what are the benifits of doing this. Thanks

CTmarinelife
10/08/2008, 02:49 PM
Need to decide if you want to go saltwater fish only or want to have corals at some point. Setting up the salt water with some live rock 50+pnds preferably, with your filter with carbon for the next six weeks with only two/three mollies is step one.

Josh Candiotti
10/08/2008, 02:51 PM
I want a reef with corals

Bonneville08
10/08/2008, 04:06 PM
Hello Josh,
You're asking for a lot of advice in one thread. I would recommend you spend some time in Waterkeeper's first timers thread at the top of the forum. You should learn quite a bit reading that, and be able to ask specific questions. Asking how to set up a reef tank from scratch is a mighty tall order. The more you learn on your own, the less chance you will be bum doped.