PDA

View Full Version : quiet one pumps

PAULNOTB
10/08/2008, 03:38 PM
My quiet one pump does not like to restart after being turned off, which I have heard is not unusual. My question is has anyone found a mod or other solution?

Perhaps a reccomendation for a replacement. 800gph-1000gph, not a mag drive(to hot). In sump
Thanks alot,
Paul

AZDesertRat
10/08/2008, 03:41 PM
Ocean Runner 3500 first choice and Eheim 1262 second.

ricde
10/08/2008, 04:25 PM
Paul, I've got a quiet one 4000 (not the hh model) I use for return pump. When I first got the pump I was having start-up issues also but over time they seem to have worked themselves out. I think pump just needed to be run-in for awhile.

Hopefully, yours will be the same, mines been worry free and starting on its own now for 3 months.

AZDesertRat
10/08/2008, 06:03 PM
If its extrenal can you lay your hand on it while it running? Mine both ran so hot you could not touch them. Imagine how much heat they are putting in the water! When I switched from the QO4000 to the OR3500 my chiller cut back to once a day from 2 to 3 times a day.

sjm817
10/08/2008, 06:45 PM
I'll take an Eheim over an OR any day. People also complain of OR's having restart problems. People with Eheims do not. Its worth the extra $ up front for a pump that will last in the long run.

AZDesertRat
10/08/2008, 06:48 PM
I'll pocket the difference in initial cost and the long term power savings and buy a couple more OR's in 10 or 15 years:D I guess we all have opinions!

sjm817
10/08/2008, 06:52 PM
If you are lucky enough for it to last long. Many do not. Eheims do all the time. Hopefully, the return pump not working wont have any other impact on your tank since it will fail at the worst possible time.

A return pump is an item that IMO should be as reliable as possible.

AZDesertRat
10/08/2008, 07:22 PM
I agree, thats why it an Ocean Runner 3500. It was used for 2 years before I purchased it and its been running for 5 years in my system and never missed a beat. Same goes for the OR 2700 skimmer pump which was also used 2 years and its got another 5 on it now and again keeps on ticking, I don't even clean it and its right next to the calcium reactor. The other two were purchased new 4 years ago.
How many OR pumps have you owned and how many have you had fail? Have you ever had occasion to contact Aqua-Medic? The support is unbelievable and in Colorado no less, not Germany. Eheim is a good pump, just not the value short term or long term the OR is.

sjm817
10/08/2008, 07:51 PM
I never had an OR, and by seeing the posts of people with restart problems and failures, I doubt I ever will for any application that I consider critical. Same with Quiet One, never owned one, never will (unless there is a redesign). Too many posts of people with restart problems. I have owned Mags and Rios, My experience with them was pretty much what is typically posted.

I do have a buddy that had an OR. He has an Eheim 1262 as a return and had an OR to feed the fuge. The OR died and he asked me what Eheim pump to get to replace it. He got a 1048. My LFS sells ORs. I know the guy pretty well and he has a low opinion of them. Aquamedic products in general seem to be average to mediocre.

OR pumps seem to be a good value if you dont have problems with them, but to say they are better than the Eheims? No way do I agree with that.

My point is:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13509155#post13509155 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by PAULNOTB
My quiet one pump does not like to restart after being turned off,
Why go from one pump brand that is known for restart problems to another that may have the same?

Coinsidentally, here is a guy who just posted about a dead OR that regrets not buying an Eheim:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1486887

AZDesertRat
10/08/2008, 07:59 PM
The satisfied threads greatly outnumber the dissatisfied threads so I will let that speak for itself.

sjm817
10/08/2008, 08:06 PM
And the satisfied Vs not ratio of Eheim also speaks for itself. A much higher ratio. I dont see people with Eheims having restart problems like OR and QO owners do.

PAULNOTB
10/09/2008, 06:59 PM
Thanks for all the input. Your info gave me a good start at making an informed decision. Paul