PDA

View Full Version : Help me understand Actinic lights?

Saltcity
10/08/2008, 04:10 PM
My new JBJ 24g Nanocube has 50/50 10,000K and "Actinic" PC bulbs. I've been told that they "Actinic" part of these bulbs is not really true actinic but more of a blue shade to simulate the blues of the ocean. not sure if this is true..

I'm wondering if true Actinic bulbs help with coral growth as opposed to straight 10,000K?

OR, what is the purpose of the Actinic bulbs besides color?

Blazer88
10/08/2008, 04:30 PM
I don't think there is really any other purpose of actinics other than color. I've always thought any light they add to the tank, other than color, would be negligible.

areze
10/08/2008, 05:08 PM
blue as a wavelength isnt a major wavelength used by photosynthesis. thats my understanding. so no, actinics do not do much for your corals health, but they make it look damn pretty, and blue is a visible spectrum to US, so you should see light from them; corals are just indifferent to it.

Saltcity
10/08/2008, 05:46 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13509630#post13509630 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by areze
blue as a wavelength isnt a major wavelength used by photosynthesis. thats my understanding. so no, actinics do not do much for your corals health, but they make it look damn pretty, and blue is a visible spectrum to US, so you should see light from them; corals are just indifferent to it.

Reason I'm asking is because in a nanocube I have limited space for lighting and want to make the best of it. My tank is a little dim compared to my 125g with metal Halides...Huh, go figure...anyway, if the Actinics do nothing but make the corals look good, then I can use less of it in my nano and keep more 10K's to brighten it up.

areze
10/08/2008, 06:25 PM
if thats the question then yes, no question. you would benefit your corals by replacing the actinic with a 10k bulb.

Saltcity
10/08/2008, 08:30 PM
Found this searching around...
Actinic lights, for example, produce only light at a specific wavelength--420 nm. This peak wavelength value, which produces a very blue light, was chosen because during photosynthesis, chlorophyll a absorbs light near this wavelength. To promote photosynthesis in reef coral, actinic lamps are used. Some lamps have two, or even three, peak wavelengths.

And this...
actinic lighting is beneficial to photosynthetic invertebrates

And...
The 420nm blue (UVA) range is particularly important to marine corals and invertebrates and also helps stimulate feeding and breeding behavior in fish.

Actinic light promotes the growth of Zoaxanthellae algae, essential for the growth and well-being of all photosynthetic corals and invertebrates (not macro algae)

Saltcity
10/08/2008, 08:50 PM
So from what I've read, I'm guessing that Actinics are an important part of raising healthy corals and inverts..........?!

areze
10/08/2008, 09:04 PM
I thought they were just to make the corals phosphorese. guess not! ignore me