PDA

View Full Version : Why are the reflectors on DE fixtures so small?

nanoguy
10/08/2008, 05:08 PM
I've always wondered why the reflectors in DE fixtures are so small. It makes sense to me to have a larger reflector even with a smaller bulb for better light distribution. If you compare the Sfiligoi XR4 or 6 and the Giesemann infiniti the difference in the size of the two reflectors is not even comparable. Is the Sfiligoi reflector an overkill for a DE bulb? Any input on this?

BeanAnimal
10/08/2008, 05:20 PM
Most reflectors sold in the hobby are VERY poorly designed and VERY inefficient. A large refelctor does not make a better reflector or one that distributes light better. The focus (footprint) and efficiency of light transfered from the bulb is a result of the shape of the reflector. Size plays a role, but only in the sense that it is part of the shape and focus pattern.

areze
10/08/2008, 06:27 PM
you can get a big reflector... lumenmax elite is 14.5x14.5"

as bean said, all a big reflector does is let you get vertical light entry over a wider area, which is beneficial(or so they say). but its all in what you want to go with

Megabite
10/08/2008, 08:16 PM
I converted from a 120 with 2 MH to a 180 and needed third light/ reflector. I had 2 250W phoenix hqi bulbs with small reflectors and bought the lumenmax elite with a new bulb for the third. Same ballast and bulb.

I installed the lumenmax in the center with the other 2 on the sides. There was a HUGE difference in the visual output in the center. The sides looked dim in comparison. I figured that it was probably the bulbs in the other 2 were about 7 months old and the additional brightness was not just the reflectors. A couple of weeks later I bought 2 more lumemax reflectors and installed them with the old bulbs. I was again amazed that all the lighting looked even now. It was hard to believe that a reflector could be that much more efficient.

I am extremely happy with them.

Here's a couple of pictures of the aquarium. I'm very new to this.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d15/MegaBite65/IMG_1175.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d15/MegaBite65/IMG_1172.jpg

lightdir
10/08/2008, 10:30 PM
I would have to agree with BeanAnimal it is poor design and bad material. I deal with concert, TV, and theater lighting in my job. All the fixtures I deal with have a coated glass reflector instead metal. the glass reflector is more efficient than a metal. The main draw back is that it is way more expensive. Imagine instead of a $150.00 MH pendant it would cost $300.00-$400.00. How many of you would spend the extra money?