PDA

View Full Version : Pump wont restart?

burton14e7
10/08/2008, 05:10 PM
Just as I tout how nice my ocean runner has been to me, it's been off line for a few days and now won't restart. When I plug it in and put my hand by the intake I can feel a slight draft going in but it's definitely not pushing water. Any recommendations on how to solve this?

psyrob
10/08/2008, 05:13 PM
Not to be funny, but did you try banging it with your hand a few times? This has "fixed" stuck pumps for me before...I would also check the impeller, even taking it out and cleaning an impeller has started a frozen pump for me in the past.

FWIW

mg426
10/08/2008, 05:30 PM
I would look at the impeller first off.the impeller must spin freely on the shaft. Is this a new pump?? If it is froze on the shaft try a vinegar soak.

burton14e7
10/08/2008, 05:32 PM
dang, took it apart and cleaned out all the film on the parts and now it won't start up at all :( Guess i'l go buy a couple gallons of vinegar and see if that works.

burton14e7
10/08/2008, 06:07 PM
I've opened it and taken it apart a few times, the magnet on the shaft is warm but no go. Guess I have to order a new pump...and an eheim this time.

AZDesertRat
10/08/2008, 06:13 PM
Did the little metal washer fall down inside the pump? That happened to me once when I tried to clean it while stil in the sump and it bound the impeller so it would not turn. Never happened again and I have 4 Ocean Runners in service now.

burton14e7
10/08/2008, 07:35 PM
I don't see anything down there.

I'm looking at the below PDF and everything is correct. Washers and all. When I manually spin the impeller with out the pump turned on the magnet gets warm as well. I thought that was odd.

http://www.aqua-medic.com/products/docs/OR_Pumps.pdf