PDA

View Full Version : Fading color in Monti and Digi

cveverly
10/08/2008, 05:25 PM
I have noticed some of my Monti, Digi and even a Hydno are getting pail in color. They are healthy, growing and have good PE. This has been going on for about a month.

I have a green Birdsnest that is browning to some degree.

I have Acros, Millis and some LPS that are doing well.

The tank is about 6-7 months old.
No algae issues
Temp 76.5 degrees
Very little coraline growth (not complaining).
Alk 8.5
Calcium 410
Mag 1250
PH 8.2
Phosphates 0
No detectable Nitrates.

I test parameters at least once a week. I change 15% water on the weekends and usually once or twice a week change 5%. Top off with daily with RO/DI and make my salt water with RO/DI.

Lights are T5 Nova Extreme Pro about 6 months on the bulbs.

Parameters have been stable for a couple months. Only issue was getting Calcium up to +400.

I don't feed a lot and I do dose .5 ml Vodka and .5 ml Vinegar daily. Been doing this since the tank was set up.

I dose a 3 part Alk, Ca and Mag everyday. I add this to the surface skimmer feeding my protein skimmer.

There have been four changes. One was switching from IO to Reef Crystals salt. Upgraded from an Octopus 100F to an Octopus 800S. Added two more powerheads. The temp was running 77 to 80 degrees and now it is a stable 76.5 degrees.

Any Ideas? I am thinking something to do with the salt.

Mykel Obvious
10/08/2008, 07:07 PM
A few things I see first off:

I believe your temp is too low... in the wild, these creatures regularly see temps in the 80s... 76.5 is a winter temp on the reef... I personally run my tank 81-84F and I'm not afraid to see 85-86F on the hottest days of the year... good growth on all Acros and other SPS, colors OK (but I'm using 384w of PC lighting... I imagine that when I do my T5 upgrade the colors will improve rapidly)

Secondly, with the larger skimmer and dosing vodka and vinegar, you are most likely at a ULNS and it is time to look in to Amino Acids or feeding the tank more... many have reported fading due to lack of nutrients and have stated that Aminos help with color (more fish poo also helps)

Without knowing what size your tank is, and what wattage and number of bulbs your T5s are, I can't comment on lighting, but it is POSSIBLE that you don't have enough and that is causing the browning and fading (or at the least can be contributing to it)

Wouldn't hurt to bump your Mag up a touch as well... most people site 1300-1400 and I've read reports of Montis fading when Mag is either too low or too high (go figure ;))

HTH and let us know what you try

cveverly
10/08/2008, 07:55 PM
It is a 46 gallon tank with 234 watts of T5. Is is the Pro version of the light so it has individual reflectors. Actually it is one reflector bent to act as 6 individual reflectors. Light is on from 8:30am to 12:30Pm and on again at 6:30 pm to 1:00 am. 4 hours of light the first session and 6.5 hours the second session.

Could be a lighting or low nutrient issue but why are the Acros holding color and doing well. Need less nutrients?

Not doubting, just asking.

I will bump the temp up to 78-79 and bring mag up a little. See where it goes from there.

Thanks!

EDIT: Could the split lighting time be a problem?

cveverly
10/09/2008, 09:19 AM
Any more ideas?

I am going to also increase the feeding along with raising mag and temp.

Santoki
10/09/2008, 12:38 PM
I personally think your temperature is fine. My tank fluctuates 74-76F.
Montis and digis have been reported to react first to carbon dosing when entering ULNS. I've been monitoring my montis while carbon dosing.
I would either cut down the carbon dosing or like Mykel said, feed more.
I would be curious to know if that helps your montis and digis.

serpentman
10/09/2008, 01:02 PM
I keep my tank at 78F with no issues. I experienced a similar fading and believe it was do to ULN. I added a couple more fish and fed the tank more and things began to pop within 2-3 wks.

gavinbree
10/09/2008, 02:06 PM
A lot of Zeovit users suggest that Montipora especially are senstive to low Potassium at ULN levels, could be worth looking into that.

I agree that if your nutrient levels are low that feeding your corals with aminos will definately help in maintaining stronger colours, I don't think the temperature is the issue though.

It might be worth increasing your magnesium levels to 1300 also.

younglcy
10/12/2008, 08:39 AM
You may be right about the Reef Crystals. I just switched from IO to RC and have the same trouble. 6 weeks ago, I had great color, now all my montis are faded, but my other sps and lps still look okay. Very frustrating.

poknsnok
10/12/2008, 08:47 AM
its the ULN.. My monti's fade out when my nitrates and phosphates are undetectable. I like my phos to be 01-02 on the hannah and trates at about .03 on the lamotte. Id bet the farm its the ULN

91yota
10/12/2008, 09:26 AM
another vote for needing to feed more... either feed the fish more or try some AA or some micro foods (ReefFuel, coral frenzy, etc...)

also, another vote for the temp not being the problem... i run my tank at 74-76 with absolutely no issues

DesigDiver
10/12/2008, 01:26 PM
i am going through the same problem so i will be tagging along..i have upped my feeding a little so hopefully i will see some results..

cveverly
10/13/2008, 09:24 AM
The temp is now 77.5 degrees, raising my magnesium level and I have increased my feeding. My skimmer is generating a lot more goo so I assume the tank is getting more nutrition. I will let everyone know how it goes.