PDA

View Full Version : What corals should I buy?

Josh Candiotti
10/08/2008, 05:42 PM
It is a 65 gallon tank and I want nice corals but easy to maintain ones. And for theses corals how much wattage of lighting do i need?

Phyxius
10/08/2008, 05:44 PM
It would be better to post what kind of lighting you have now and what kind of corals you would like to have.

You could start with what your tank will handle now and upgrade equipment to handle what you may need for the others up the road...

Easy things would be zoos. mushrooms, GSP but they spread, some hammers possibly, some soft corals .....ricordea,

Josh Candiotti
10/08/2008, 05:50 PM
right now i have a glo T5 from Hagen it was for my planted aquarium that I shut down and I now need new bulbs but should I buy new light and I need info on types of corals because I never bought any before and im trying to get info before i start my tank

Josh Candiotti
10/08/2008, 05:57 PM
I think it has about 100 watts

stricknine
10/08/2008, 06:02 PM
Easy Corals - Not needing too much light:

- Euphyllia (spelling?) Frogspawn, bubble coral, torch coral.
- Mushrooms
- Leathers
- Star polyps
- Gorgonians
- Kenya tree ( think it is a leather)

Small list I was advised of getting into coral for the first time, and coral I was able to keep alive and healthy with ease!

Just watch placement in the tank, some have stinging tentacles, and some emit a toxin to keep neighbours from getting too close. (run carbon for those toxin ones to keep water clean of toxins {leathers, mushrooms?})

stricknine
10/08/2008, 06:05 PM
Also to keep it easy, check the feeding req'd. some need phyto/micro, some meaty foods. at first it was easier to get ones with the same feeding requirements. And dont get too many too fast, I made that mistake already.