PDA

View Full Version : Final Decision - Closed Loop Return Size

shivvy
10/08/2008, 05:48 PM
Tank Size: 60 Gal - 36" x 20" x 19" (sps, anemone, lps, clam)

Reeflo Dart on CL
OM 4-way to (4) returns on the back wall.

I want to use Omni-Flex nozzles on the bulkheads and don't know if I should go with 1" or 1.5" bulkheads for the returns.

Can someone please chime in to which would be more appropriate? I want to make sure I have the correct water movement without too much velocity.

shivvy
10/09/2008, 10:48 AM
Bump for the guy with a drill press drooling for some acrylic.

seaskraP
10/09/2008, 10:58 AM
i have the same setup, and use 3/4" loc-line nozzles for all 4 of the returns.

goslugsgo
10/09/2008, 11:02 AM
I went with 2X2" in the floor and 2X1.5" over the top in my 36"X24"X17" and like it. I had 1"over the top and the velocity was too high for my taste. Now it's got a high volume/lower velocity combination that's better.
I am running a Dart through a Super Squirt.

goslugsgo
10/09/2008, 11:08 AM
OMG, those nozzles are sweet. Thanks for the indirect heads-up on those. The 1" dual would probably be preferable to my setup now.

shivvy
10/09/2008, 11:37 AM
wow, sweet, thanks guys!

yeah, those omni-flex are expensive but sweet.

I would think 3/4" would be way too much velocity and I dont really want locline.

shoot, I may have to go with (4) 1.5". I don't have the room on the back wall for 2" returns and I really dont want to drill the bottom because I want the sand to be un-interupted, due to the way I am going to lay my rockwork.

What is the water movement like with squirts combined with such large returns? Do you have a link or pictures of your tank?

goslugsgo
10/09/2008, 02:42 PM
I wouldn't go with 2"s again. I think they sap a little too much energy. 1.5 are good. In fact, the 2X1" wyes they have look like they combine wide, lower velocity pressure perfectly, especially if you drill two low, shooting up and two higher straight across. You could drill for 1", then open to 1.5" if you don't like the flow and not lose much to head.
Movement isn't bad; I could use more, but my tank is 24" wide...which is a challenge. I like your idea of putting them all on one wall.
Keep my handle and if you have any more thoughts, shoot me a PM so I don't miss anything.

shivvy
10/14/2008, 11:44 AM
thanks so much for the help. I think I will drill 1" returns so my wall doesnt look like swiss cheese and like you said, I could extend them to 1.5" if need be. Well....I guess that is it!

I just have to figure out where to place the overflow and return from sump so they dont get in the way of the CL and then it is time to drill!

Otty
10/14/2008, 08:12 PM
If your OM 4-way has 1.5" ports then make them 1.5". If it is a super squirt then make it 1". Try not to restrict the flow of water any with reduction in pipe size, that will only create pressure.