PDA

View Full Version : How to quiet down flow into the sump

Logzor
10/08/2008, 09:41 PM
The pipe the runs into my sump from the overflow is super loud when it hits the water.

Is it ok for this to be underwater, this is the only way I can think of how to quiet it down....

Any other ideas?

flyyyguy
10/08/2008, 09:46 PM
make a vent stack in your draine line a few inches above where the pipe enters the sump

basically a T with a 90 coming off of it with a seral inch piece of pipe with a plug on the end. Drill a couple holes in the plug. It gives the air somewhere to go when you have a submerged drain pipe

this wont always fix it depending on your set up....but in most cases it will, and its a easy place to start

Phyxius
10/08/2008, 09:50 PM
basically something like this:
Sorry old pic off my old frag tank....

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/78452fishtank_006__Small_.jpg

jmking33
10/08/2008, 10:03 PM
I agree.....make a "T" in the line where it enters the sump. also add a valve on your return pump, a small adjustment in flow can make a big difference in noise.

Rekonn
10/08/2008, 10:24 PM
I have experimented with several different plumbing methods. The best one I've found is Herbie's method (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=344892&highlight=herbie) which I use on my 90g tank (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1236072) now (1st page of thread, has pictures). This method eliminates air going down the drain entirely. Use a regular standpipe with a screen for your main drain, and have a gate valve on it. Dial the gate valve until the water level remains steady above the main drain. Have a backup drain just in case.

Logzor
10/08/2008, 10:25 PM
I had a T on there and it did not solve the problem, it was splashing out the side and slamming into the sump glass.

I sawed off the T and just took some 3/4" vinyl tubing and jammed it in there with some duct tape around it and the PVC. the piece is curved so its just streaming slightly below the water and is very quiet.

I suppose this is a temp fix.

The question is, is it safe to have the line into the sump somewhat under water?

Now the overflow is the loudest part, which is a good thing as it is pretty quiet. It has the durso pipe in there.

jmking33
10/08/2008, 10:31 PM
its fine to have the over line emptying under the water line. The water wont back up, it will just dispearse into the sump

Logzor
10/08/2008, 10:39 PM
Thanks for the info. I am happier with the emptying under the water line...this way it is quiet. Technically the durso pipe has an air hole drilled on the top.

jmking33
10/08/2008, 10:41 PM
I have the same thing...its just something you have to kinda play with to fix the noise.

flyyyguy
10/08/2008, 10:43 PM
the durso and the herbie are different entities entirely. That happens up top. When the drain line is submerged it can create new issues down below.

I like herbies method and have modified it for use on some odd applications, but for standard ovrflow box plumbing, the hofler gurglebuster is much easier to install and works every bit as well for quieting. I use a bunch of different sized gurglebusters in my external overflow boxes on different tanks

Logzor
10/08/2008, 10:47 PM
Yeah I see what you mean flyy.

I understand the picture a few posts up, I could probably put that together pretty easily. Is this the herbie method?

Do you have any pics of what you are talking about. This is my first sump and I have not done much plumbing so the descriptions are difficult to imagine.

flyyyguy
10/08/2008, 11:09 PM
what phyxius posted a picture of is more or less exactly what i was talking about in my first post when I said "vent stack". Depending on how much flow you have, soemtimes it needs extended a little taller to prevent water from coming out of the vent hole.

The herbie method is something entirely different and once you use a gurglebuster, is kind of obsolete for basic overflow needs as it is simply too much work when a gurglebuster works just as well. It is a very cool concept though and can be used in other more complicated applications where a gurglebuster cant

Logzor
10/09/2008, 10:52 AM
How much would a setup like that cost to put together? I am not familiar with PVC prices. i would need to run from the drain pipe, the lenght of the 90g and down into the sump.

The main lenght is fine and even the angle downward, can I just alter the end and add the new pieces? The end is just where I sawed off the "T" piece, can I mend on the setup that phyxius posted?

jmking33
10/09/2008, 07:09 PM
pvc is cheap, the only thing that can get sorta pricey(10 bucks) are ball valves. otherwise its cheap. you can always just cut and add with pvc.