PDA

View Full Version : Adding Carbon to my Tank

Vapour1ze
10/09/2008, 04:40 AM
Wondering how and what to do, Tank water is really clear, but I keep hearing use carbon use carbon use carbon, so I plan on doing it since its really cheap anyway... Question is though how does this work,

I have a 29g display, with a 10g sump, filled half way, do I just buy a sock and plop it in the sump with carbon in it ? I'm not sure what kind to buy or how much to put in the sock or how often to change it or leave it in there,,, Info would be excellent I've been researching but not really finding much.

modd77
10/09/2008, 05:42 AM
I use KZ carbon http://www.zeovitusa.com/product.php?productid=16174&cat=251&page=1 in a media bag passively in my sump. I use about half a bag and change it every 4 weeks. works great for my system. Your net volume is less than mine so if you use the KZ carbon a bag should last you 4 or 5 months.

billdogg
10/09/2008, 06:37 AM
i run carbon in a TLF phosphate reactor - cheap - easy to use - actually i have 2 - the other one is for gfo - i get both the carbon and gfo from www.bulkreefsupply.com - great prices and service

Vapour1ze
10/09/2008, 01:16 PM
can someone please link me to some "media bags" or whatever and do i basically just pore the carbon in, no SPECIFIC amount and then just tie it up and throw it in the sump or what.

Michael
10/09/2008, 01:20 PM
no dont do that, id suggest buying some mesh bags, to start off with if you have no reactor of course, put about 5 spoon fulls of carbon in a sock/mesh bag and put it in a high flow area of your sump, keep an eye on parameters to ensure it doesnt release any phos after a week or 2, replace it every 2 weeks to start with until you get the hang of it and increase the amount slowly as to not shock your corals with the extra light they will recieve once the carbon has crystalised the water when it has removed the yellow organic waste, its trial and error and impossible to predict when it needs changing from here, you will have to work that out yourself

Vapour1ze
10/09/2008, 01:22 PM
nvm found media bags, 6x9 will most likely be perfect for my 10g sump, however i am very limieted on space in there my skimmer takes up the whole footprint of the tank, im just getting a yellowing tint to my water and i hear that carbon is the answer but im not sure now if ill be able to fit it in there, do i just fill the sock with carbon and tie it on the side of the tank?

Michael
10/09/2008, 01:24 PM
the high flow area is next to the return also, if you think about it the water is being sucked at pressure through the sump towards the return, so you could stick it there if you have no space elsewhere

Vapour1ze
10/09/2008, 02:13 PM
right i dont really have any other option my setup is plumbed where my overflow runs straight into the skimmer and then the skimmer releases back into the sump and then the return just sucks it up back to the display, its just a 10g, and its not chambered or anything but i figure if the entire overflow runs straight through the skimmer first it cant be that bad its only a 29g, and the skimmer is for a 150+

Vapour1ze
10/09/2008, 02:15 PM
btw, what params am i looking out for? all or ??? i have calcium nitrate nitrite ammonia and i think i have one more, just the basics or ?

firebirdude
10/09/2008, 02:27 PM
Any way you can force the water to travel through the carbon vice having the choice to flow around it would be beneficial. For example, you could build a little ramp wall to wall, that raises to your current water level. Put the carbon sock on the tip of it. Water must flow up the ramp, through the carbon and can fall down by the return pump. Or a solid object that goes wall to wall and the carbon on top.
Maybe something like these:
http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/7393/18491825rs1.png (http://imageshack.us)

Michael
10/09/2008, 02:58 PM
personally i concentrate on nitrate ph and alk, but test for calcium and mag every month as well, phos is important but hard to measure, a good kit is needed for phos, dont be frightened by carbon, just go for it, nice pics firebirdude, well put

Vapour1ze
10/09/2008, 09:29 PM
awesome thanks guy, ill keep posted when i get something situated, to the socks clog quickly? or can i just exchange a new one every month

Michael
10/09/2008, 11:28 PM
start off by replacing it after 2 weeks, you can wash the socks out and re-use a couple of times, but i replace mine with new every time, i mean over here they are a few pence each so not a worry for me, carbon is expensive however, but i will still use it 24-7

Vapour1ze
10/10/2008, 01:35 AM
ok sounds good man thanks for all the help, any specific brand i should use?