PDA

View Full Version : any opinions or experience with Mag Drive pumps, please share your opinion ...

lowendmelody
10/09/2008, 08:27 AM
Setting up a new tank and was looking to use a Mag Drive 18, anyone here use MD's or have any opinions to share about them ... any help is appreicated.....

photobret
10/09/2008, 08:32 AM
I have a mag 12, 9.5 and a 5 and got them when I didnt know any better 2 years ago. So far so good, I run my Mag 12 on a CL and its external, the only problem I have encountered was when I stripped it for its annual clean I had to purchase new O-rings and base plate as it would not seal again and leaked. THey are cheap options for sure and not very good on the ol' electricity bill. In hindsight I would have spent money on a Laguna Pond pump instead, better quality and less wattage per gal/hr. BTW the Laguna's look odd but that large round filter looking thing comes off and it looks like a mag drive underneath.

AZDesertRat
10/09/2008, 08:55 AM
Mags are inefficient using more power than comparable pumps in the same class. They also run hotand can be very noisy.
Better choices are Ocean Runner and Eheim. I like the OR pumps myself and now own 4 of them.

miatawnt2b
10/09/2008, 09:37 AM
I too used Mag's before I bought an Eheim. I'd have a hard time buying anything but Eheim now. Quieter, more efficient, and in my case, lasts longer.

-J

lowendmelody
10/09/2008, 11:20 AM
sounds like good input... thanks folks... I'll start looking at other models... any one else care to share, it's much appreciated

lowendmelody
10/09/2008, 11:21 AM
whats the highest gph of Ehiem models? anyone know?

ErikS
10/09/2008, 11:36 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13514413#post13514413 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lowendmelody
whats the highest gph of Ehiem models? anyone know?
1262 @ 898gph.

But it's not that cut & dried. Eheims generally out perform their ratings where as Danner (MAG) rates their pumps with double the outlet. For example if the outlet is 1" Danner rates the pump with a 2" output = not likely you'll ever see the rated flow.

Quite a few choices above MAG. Eheim & OR are two, Hydor makes good pumps and so do Tunze & Red Dragon.

lowendmelody
10/09/2008, 11:41 AM
thanks ErikS ... I'm gonna start looking around more for sure now ... seems not too many care for MD, which is fine, I am looking for the experienced opinions...

those Ocean Runners dont seem like too bad of a pump, pretty good price if they are pretty decent ...

lowendmelody
10/09/2008, 11:55 AM
Eheim seems to be some good quality as far as submersibles as well, I could always use two of the 1262's on two seperate returns in my 150g and I bet that would give me good flow... just a thought...

AZDesertRat
10/09/2008, 11:58 AM
Ocean Runners are great pumps, comparable to the Eheims at half the price. www.customaquatic.com on of the RC Sponsors seems to always have good pricing and availability on them. The OR6500 is probably equal to the Mag 18 in GPD and head but with better power consumption.

Jefe12234
10/09/2008, 12:05 PM
You hear a lot of talk when it comes to pump efficiencies, but nobody actually measures their flowrate so it's hard to know for sure. I personally have found Mag-Drives to be good pumps. They stand up well to head pressure, run at wattages comparable to most similar pumps, and last a long time. I have a Mag7 that started up fine even when I later found the impeller shaft to be so caked in calcium deposits that I could barely spin it myself. Also, all pumps produce an amount of heat equivalent to their power draw. So a 100w pump produces 100w of heat regardless of design. The advantage of external pumps is that some of that heat is transferred to the surrounding air instead of your tank water. If you anticipate having any problems with excess heat, then I would consider an external pump. Otherwise I think a Mag-Drive would be a fine choice in addition to the others mentioned here.

bertmauricio
10/09/2008, 12:08 PM
I've had 2 eheims run for over 10 years 24/7 and they still work today. I'm running a OR3500 now but it's only been up for a couple months. OR design is a copy of the Eheim and you can't beat the OR price.

Do a search though because some people are reporting troubles with restart issues with OR pumps.

scuzy
10/09/2008, 12:10 PM
i have a mag 18 running for 6 years with out a service and it's been going strong. I would recommend them. But here in cali my electric bill is so high i am switching out for a Ocean Runner 6500 to cut it from 140watts to 90watts.

sploke
10/09/2008, 12:49 PM
I have a few mag-drives, from 3 up to 9.5 in various configurations, I like them so far. They are all running submerged though so I don't have to worry about leaks.

8BALL_99
10/09/2008, 01:41 PM
I replaced all my Mag pumps with Eheims a couple years back and haven't missed them a bit.. Mag are loud use more power to get less flow then Eheims or OR. I have to agree also their ratings are very over rated.. My 1260 moves more water on the exact same tank as a mag 9.5 did. Mag is rated for 950gph the Ehiem is rated 635gph lol.. Like stated above to even start to get the rated output of a mag you have to double the plumbing size.. That means you need 1.1/2 to 2" plumbing for a small return pump. Pretty much no one does that. I wouldn't say mags are bad pumps. They are pretty good bang for the buck.. But for just a little more you can get a pump that moves the same GPH for less watts that will also = less heat for you tank

ErikS
10/09/2008, 02:05 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13514561#post13514561 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lowendmelody
those Ocean Runners dont seem like too bad of a pump, pretty good price if they are pretty decent ...

My review from '04 (http://www.reefcentral.com/modules.php?name=Reviews&rop=showcontent&id=44)

That would be when most around here would have said "Ocean who?" :lol:

AZ & I have bantied back & forth on which is better OR or Eheim but really it's just quibbling - both are excellent.

I've had 2 eheims run for over 10 years 24/7 and they still work today
And that's not an unusual story, I've heard more than one 20yrs without a problem. Mine is about 4 years with one service ( :o ) and it gets stopped once a day, every day, for feeding - it has never once even hiccuped.

I've used MAGs & what I don't like is -

- more watts for the gph
- upsize to achieve rated flow (not cricket IMHO)
- build quality, covers aren't terribly strong
- don't seem to have the long term durability of others

lowendmelody
10/09/2008, 02:14 PM
I'm setting up a 150. I'm thinking I'll get 2 of the Eheim 1262 for two separate 1" return holes, one on each side of my overflow which will be centered on one end of my tank, which will be peninsula style.

I think that would work well... any second opinions on this?

thank you all so far, you've helped me tremendously.

Neal in Orcutt, CA

8BALL_99
10/09/2008, 02:27 PM
I use a single 1260 on a 190.. I also have a single 1260 feeding a 92 and a 40 . I don't really think you need 2000 GPH through your sump for a 150.. Sure you could do it.. But why. Your skimmer only needs a few hundred GPH. IMO I think a single 1262 would be plenty to feed the sump. I have two 1" drains in my 190 also.

dew2loud1
10/09/2008, 02:41 PM
I've had good luck with the smaller mags, had two mag 12's go out and anything over a mag 12 IMO isn't worth buying. The larger mags are very very prone to snapping shafts when the power comes back on from an outage.
A LFS went through 17 mag 36's in one year........
As mentioned eheim, ocean runner, laguna or external IMO