PDA

View Full Version : 20 year old acrylic tank

tleip
10/09/2008, 02:26 PM
A local guy has an acrylic tank for sale, but he says the tank is 20 years old -- I've not seen it yet in person, but I'm wondering if there might be any issues with such an old acrylic tank.

Thanks,

Terry

Kieth71
10/09/2008, 02:56 PM
I would not buy a 20 year old acrylic tank.I can only imagine the scratches that it prob has not to mention possible bowing.I myself would never buy another acrylic tank period.acrylic works well for sumps but tanks i am not a big fan any more.

Buster4900
10/09/2008, 02:56 PM
20 years old, my guess is it will have some scratches and has probably been buffed a few times to remove scratches. If so there might be some distortion through the acrylic. Possibly crazing, small little crack looking patches. If no crazing and you are willing to buff out scratches might be a good tank.

kwaters
10/09/2008, 06:35 PM
It is often said that the tank is generally the cheapest part! I am sure you will find a better deal. I personally have a 15 year old 55 gallon acrylic...it was scratched to heck and it bows a bit. The bulkheads don't seal all that well either. It has been a great starter tank!