PDA

View Full Version : Worried about spreading dictyota into my new tank

Logzor
10/09/2008, 04:25 PM
I just got the 90g running with rock from bulkreefsupply.

I am terrified that I will get dictyota in the new tank. I want to seed with some liverock in the sump but I am not sure if it is worth the risk.

I really think that nutrients will be too low for it to survive but this stuff MUST NOT get into the new tank.

What are the risks if it put some rock in the sump, after scrubbing it off?

landlord
10/09/2008, 06:41 PM
Patience Logan, patience. If you arre gonna seed it from the old tank do it in the sump. You will be less likely to spread it. Not sure if you noticed when you were here but I have aiptasia in my fuge, but it hasn't made it to my tank in a year. Knocking on wood...... Put some of your old sand in a small micron filter bag and drop it in the sump. It might help kickstart the process. I got a 100 micron bag I can bring to the swap to give you. It may leak a little but if its in the sump you can suck it out later.

Logzor
10/10/2008, 10:22 AM
Good point. Someone I know up in Mason has a huge sps tank and is willing to give me 60+ gallons of his water when he does a change.

I have enough containers to fit like 36 gallons of water so I might run up there an add this to my tank. Although I am not sure how much beneficial bacteria are in the water or how effective it will even be.

Putting stuff in the sump is a good idea. I might just siphon a bunch of sand out of my system dump it into a plastic rubbermaid container and just sink it into my sump water, that way I wont have to siphon anything out.

My other challenge will be getting the dictyota off of some of my coral that are attached to rocks. I may just end up fragging off everything and let that be that.

I know I need to be patient but I really want to tear the 55 down within like two months if possible. Having two tanks in the corner of the living room is insane. There is a 2.5x2.5 foot space enclosed where they meet that I cant even get to.