PDA

View Full Version : Accidental Fragging -- Amplexidiscus fenestrafer

Apercula
10/10/2008, 12:02 AM
I have a large Amplexidiscus (Giant Cup Mushroom) which I've posted pictures of before. Just over 3 weeks ago I needed to remove some animals from my tank, which required me to restack my rockwork. During the process of removing rock to get to the animals I needed to remove, the foot of my giant cup was torn and some pieces of it left on the rocks it had attached to. About a week ago I noticed that there were still some spots where foot pieces were still attached to the origional rock. This afternoon I was looking at those pieces closer, and discovered that one of them has not only developed an oral disc, but has actually grown a mouth in the center of it too.

Parent A. fenestrafer before the restack.
August 5th, with a 12in ruler on the disc, 8 inches from mouth to rim.
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii150/Ganrin/giantcupaug5.jpg

Giant cup frags. They are the 3 white blobs to the left of the yumas, the center blob, at the yuma's 9oclock postion is the one which has developed a mouth.
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii150/Ganrin/100_2205.jpg

The "frags" are all 2-3cm across at this point, and are pretty much solid white since they came from the foot of the parent. The origional was very upset about the move and the damage done for a couple weeks, but in the last week has been looking better, the mouth still gapes alot, but it is eating well and was open to 12inches+ today which is quite a bit smaller than the maximum I've seen from it but still larger than it was when I got it in early July.

scottallert
10/10/2008, 04:49 PM
thats awesome

BigScott
10/12/2008, 06:28 PM
thats cool lookin..

Dustin1300
10/14/2008, 11:40 PM
Wow, I thought my hairy mushroom was huge before! Sad thing was that it decided it was too big and over the course of about a month he decided to split a TON! He is now about 6 mushrooms and was about 10 inches wide. Luckily the 6 of them are now about 5 inches wide so hopefully I'll be able to frag em' and get some descent frags for trade!