PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer Sludge

philworrall
02/05/2003, 08:43 AM
Dr. Ron,
having read yor recent report on the export of metals via skimming I have a question regarding skimmer cleaning.

I work away from home during the week and rely on my children to clean the skimmer which they do by using a bottle brush pushed down the skimmer neck.

This has the effect of removing the sludge from the reaction tube walls and releasing it into the skimmer water column. Some sludge makes it to the collection cup but some goes back into the tank.

Given that the effeciencey of the skimmer reduces the more it is sludged up, should I leave the cleaning to when I get home and can clean the cup when removed from the skimmer. Or should I continue with the kids doing the daily routine?

Thanks for any advice

rshimek
02/05/2003, 09:51 AM
Hi Phil,

I would suggest changing your cleaning routine to ensure that none of the sludge makes its way back into the water column. I remove my skimmer from the various water lines that connect to it, take it to a sink and clean it there, disposing of all the sludge down the drain. I then reattach the skimmer to the lines and turn the pumps back on.

If the skimmer sludge is remobilized into the water column, that has the effect of simply putting it back into the tank so that it needs to be skimmed out again. Additionally, this will cause periodic pulse of both organic nutrients and heavy metals in the tank waters.

Good luck!!